Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire officials worry wind could push wildfire into B.C. town today

Fire officials worry wind could push wildfire into B.C. town today
A fire behaviour specialist with the B.C. Wildfire Service says an intense wildfire could hit Fort Nelson this morning, based on forecasts that have been calling for strong winds. Ben Boghean said in a video posted to social media Sunday night that the extreme fire behaviour, made worse by years of drought and a below-normal snowpack this past winter, could end up threatening the crews that have been fighting the Parker Lake wildfire.

Fire officials worry wind could push wildfire into B.C. town today

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election
Seven multimedia experts have been selected to advise Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge as she renews the role of Canada's public broadcaster. Canadian Heritage says the group will provide policy advice mainly on CBC/Radio-Canada's governance and funding.

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election

Fatal collision in New Westminster

Fatal collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are investigating a single-vehicle crash that resulted in the death of the male driver. Police say the crash happened early Saturday, and two people were taken to hospital from the scene.

Fatal collision in New Westminster

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton
Mounties say what appears to be a targeted altercation in Penticton over the weekend has left one person dead. Police say officers responded to the altercation on Lakeshore Drive involving several people on Sunday morning.

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall
British Columbia's finance minister has announced she won't be running again in the next provincial election after serving in the legislature for nearly two decades. Katrine Conroy said it will be hard to leave the people she's worked with over the years, but at 66, it's time to step back to spend time with her family.

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation
Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe says he wants the city to reverse course after cancelling an event to mark Israel's national day.

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation