Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike
Coast Mountain Bus Company and the union representing its transit supervisors have both accepted the recommendations of a mediator in an agreement that looks set to avert another Metro Vancouver bus strike. A statement from the bus firm's president, Michael McDaniel, said the next step was to sign a memorandum of agreement before the contract ratification process.

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says
The federal government is lashing out at the U.S. Commerce Department over plans to raise duties on Canadian softwood lumber. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says the U.S. has signalled it intends to raise duties to 13.86 per cent, up from 8.05 per cent.  Ng calls the move disappointing and entirely unwarranted.

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'
The Sons of Freedom were a small faction within the Doukhobor community, an exiled Russian Christian group, and were once known for naked protests and periodically burning down their own homes as a rejection of materialism. In her formal apology Thursday, Attorney General Niki Sharma acknowledged the children were "mistreated both physically and psychologically." 

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast
British Columbia's River Forecast Centre lifted a flood warning for the Lillooet and Squamish rivers, saying flows remain high but rainfall and snowmelt are tapering off.  A flood watch remains in effect for the Sproat and Somass rivers on Vancouver Island, while lower-level streamflow advisories cover the rest of the South Coast.

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast

B.C. launches review of province's Labour Relations Code with panel appointment

B.C. launches review of province's Labour Relations Code with panel appointment
British Columbia is launching a review of its Labour Relations Code and has appointed a three-member panel to recommend possible amendments. Labour Minister Harry Bains says the panel has been told to report back to him by May 31 after consulting interest groups and Indigenous communities on the labour laws.

B.C. launches review of province's Labour Relations Code with panel appointment

17 year old charged in Delta stabbings

17 year old charged in Delta stabbings
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 17-year-old has been charged after stabbings that injured two women last month. A statement from Delta police says their department has been working with R-C-M-P in Surrey to identify a suspect in the stabbings on January 16th and 23rd.

17 year old charged in Delta stabbings