Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

18 C in Metro Vancouver as atmospheric river smashes heat records, brings heavy rain

18 C in Metro Vancouver as atmospheric river smashes heat records, brings heavy rain
Unseasonable warmth brought by an atmospheric river has shattered records — some almost a century old — at more than 30 B.C. locations, with the mercury passing 18 C in parts of Metro Vancouver. Environment Canada says the daily high temperature at Vancouver's airport hit 14.3 C on Monday, breaking the previous record of 13.3 C in 1940.

18 C in Metro Vancouver as atmospheric river smashes heat records, brings heavy rain

Discrimination probe launched into police use of force in B.C.

Discrimination probe launched into police use of force in B.C.
British Columbia's human rights commissioner has launched an inquiry into police use of force against people who are racialized or dealing with mental health issues. Kasari Govender says in a statement the inquiry comes as a result of a 2021 study by the commissioner's office showing a "disturbing pattern of discrimination in policing in the province."

Discrimination probe launched into police use of force in B.C.

Provinces knew the deal when they signed on to $10-a-day child care: Liberal minister

Provinces knew the deal when they signed on to $10-a-day child care: Liberal minister
Provinces and territories had their "eyes wide open" when they signed on to the federal $10-a-day child-care program, says Families Minister Jenna Sudds. Her assertion that they must now make it work comes amid growing pushback from daycares that say the program is going to make them go bankrupt. 

Provinces knew the deal when they signed on to $10-a-day child care: Liberal minister

RCMP make arrest in 17 year old case

RCMP make arrest in 17 year old case
Police said Monday advances in DNA technology and an extensive investigation helped in the arrest of a Vancouver man in the killing of a Manitoba woman nearly 17 years ago. Kevin Queau, a 42-year-old from Vancouver, has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Crystal Shannon Saunders, whose body was found in 2007.

RCMP make arrest in 17 year old case

Eby invokes Taylor Swift as B.C. launches services to crack down on intimate images

Eby invokes Taylor Swift as B.C. launches services to crack down on intimate images
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the recent sharing of fake intimate images of pop star Taylor Swift proves no one is immune from such "attacks," as the province launches new services to get images taken down and go after perpetrators for damages. The launch of the services on Monday in conjunction with the Civil Resolution Tribunal comes on the same day the province's Intimate Images Protection Act comes into force.

Eby invokes Taylor Swift as B.C. launches services to crack down on intimate images

Muslim council cancels meeting with Trudeau over Liberal stance on hate crimes, Gaza

Muslim council cancels meeting with Trudeau over Liberal stance on hate crimes, Gaza
The National Council of Canadian Muslims has cancelled a scheduled meeting today with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, saying there's no point in speaking with him. Chief executive Stephen Brown says that's because of Trudeau's response to the situation in the Gaza Strip and his government's failure to deliver legislation and funding to prevent hate crimes.

Muslim council cancels meeting with Trudeau over Liberal stance on hate crimes, Gaza