Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

U.S. tariffs set to slow pace of homebuilding in Canada: CHBA

U.S. tariffs set to slow pace of homebuilding in Canada: CHBA
Canada's building industry says a trade war with the United States will slow down the pace of home construction. Canadian Home Builders' Association CEO Kevin Lee says the U.S. tariffs levied against Canada today will have a "muted" impact on the industry on their own.

U.S. tariffs set to slow pace of homebuilding in Canada: CHBA

Canada and U.S. stock markets plunge for a second day after trade war launched

Canada and U.S. stock markets plunge for a second day after trade war launched
North American stock markets plunged for a second day as the U.S. imposed broad tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico, triggering a continental trade war. The S&P/TSX composite index was down 547.26 points at 24,454.31, after U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order implementing the tariffs took effect at just after midnight.

Canada and U.S. stock markets plunge for a second day after trade war launched

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on track to deliver budget as Trump slaps tariffs

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on track to deliver budget as Trump slaps tariffs
One day before delivering her first budget, British Columbia's finance minister said she knows that everyone is wondering how it can be done in the face of unprecedented tariffs from the United States.  It is not time to make "deep cuts," Brenda Bailey told reporters on Monday, but a time to plan for uncertainty and ensure programs and services are protected.

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on track to deliver budget as Trump slaps tariffs

U.S. plans to nearly triple anti-dumping duty on Canadian softwood as tariffs loom

U.S. plans to nearly triple anti-dumping duty on Canadian softwood as tariffs loom
British Columbia Premier David Eby says news that the U.S. Department of Commerce wants to almost triple the anti-dumping duties on Canadian softwood lumber is a "massive threat" to the province's forestry sector. The American department issued a preliminary anti-dumping rate of 20.07 per cent, up from 7.66 per cent set three years ago, which is in addition to countervailing duties of 6.74 per cent.

U.S. plans to nearly triple anti-dumping duty on Canadian softwood as tariffs loom

One dead after Langley explosion that may have been caused by drug lab: police

One dead after Langley explosion that may have been caused by drug lab: police
The explosion and fire left two people with critical injuries and one person unaccounted for as the flames destroyed the home, spread to nearby residences and forced the closure of the neighbourhood. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom says in a news release that investigators remained at the scene over the weekend and were working with the BC Coroners Service to identify the remains.

One dead after Langley explosion that may have been caused by drug lab: police

Trump says threatened economywide tariffs will hit Canada, Mexico on Tuesday

Trump says threatened economywide tariffs will hit Canada, Mexico on Tuesday
U.S. President Donald Trump said Monday that 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy, will start Tuesday, tipping the continent into a trade war. Trump's executive order to implement economywide tariffs was delayed until Tuesday after Canada and Mexico agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

Trump says threatened economywide tariffs will hit Canada, Mexico on Tuesday