Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Six people were displaced and one cat has been saved following house fire in Surrey

Six people were displaced and one cat has been saved following house fire in Surrey
Six people have been displaced and one cat has been rescued in Surrey, B.C., on Sunday morning after a home was destroyed by fire. Surrey Fire Service assistant chief Mike McNamara says they received a call about a house fire early in the morning on the corner of Fraser Highway and 168 Street in the city. 

Six people were displaced and one cat has been saved following house fire in Surrey

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians
An earthquake shook some British Columbia residents awake early Monday, marking the latest in a series of tremors felt in parts of the province. Among them was Victoria resident Bailey Beauchemin, who says she was startled and "jumped out of bed" when the quake happened at around 5 a.m. 

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat
British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump. Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight
Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly says there's a good chance that Russia could re-invade Ukraine if there are no security guarantees in a peace deal. Her statement comes after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and U.S. President Donald Trump engaged in a shocking verbal brawl in the White House today.

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley
A house fire and possible explosion has closed off a neighbourhood in Langley. RCMP say the fire was reported on Friday morning, and officers along with firefighters and paramedics responded to the scene in the 7300 block of 196 Street. Police say homes in the surrounding area have since been evacuated.

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say
Police in British Columbia say a 31-year-old man has been charged following investigation into a drug trafficking network operating in the Lower Mainland and Interior. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of B.C. says in a release that their investigation began in the Lower Mainland last July, but the team soon uncovered the network reached as far as Kamloops.

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say