Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. solicitor general says police warned Opposition operative away from care home

B.C. solicitor general says police warned Opposition operative away from care home
The B.C. government and the Opposition have released duelling narratives about a mental-health facility that is at the heart of alleged voter irregularities in the October election. Solicitor General Garry Begg's response to a court petition says a Conservative operative was warned by police to stay away from Argyll Lodge in the riding of Surrey-Guildford.

B.C. solicitor general says police warned Opposition operative away from care home

Special avalanche warning issued in B.C., Alberta as 'dangerous' conditions develop

Special avalanche warning issued in B.C., Alberta as 'dangerous' conditions develop
Avalanche Canada has issued a special warning covering large sections of B.C. and western Alberta's backcountry, saying triggered slides could be "dangerous and destructive."  The forecaster says drought in January and February created "prominent weak layers" in the snowpack that are now buried under up to 100 centimetres of new snow.

Special avalanche warning issued in B.C., Alberta as 'dangerous' conditions develop

B.C. audit finds no co-ordination on the implementation of child-care promises

B.C. audit finds no co-ordination on the implementation of child-care promises
British Columbia's acting auditor general says seven years after promising to add capacity in regional health authorities to license, monitor, and investigate child-care facilities, the province doesn't know if it has done those things. The report, which covers from April 2022 to July 2024, says the ministry did not co-ordinate to document expectations for implementing the commitment, monitoring the implementation, or reporting progress. 

B.C. audit finds no co-ordination on the implementation of child-care promises

Trump plans tariffs on Mexico and Canada for Tuesday, while doubling existing 10% tariffs on China

Trump plans tariffs on Mexico and Canada for Tuesday, while doubling existing 10% tariffs on China
President Donald Trump plans to impose tariffs on Canada and Mexico starting Tuesday, in addition to doubling the 10% universal tariff charged on imports from China. In a Truth Social post Thursday, Trump said illicit drugs such as fentanyl are being smuggled into the United States at “unacceptable levels" and that import taxes would force other countries to crack down on the trafficking.

Trump plans tariffs on Mexico and Canada for Tuesday, while doubling existing 10% tariffs on China

B.C. to require Canadian-made biofuels to meet standards for gas, diesel

B.C. to require Canadian-made biofuels to meet standards for gas, diesel
British Columbia's energy minister says the province will soon require Canadian-made products to fulfil renewable fuel standards for gasoline and diesel. Adrian Dix says B.C.'s requirement of five-per-cent renewable fuel content for gasoline must be met with Canadian-made fuel starting Jan. 1, 2026.

B.C. to require Canadian-made biofuels to meet standards for gas, diesel

Six illegal ride-hailing drivers fined more than $13K in one day, says Richmond RCMP

Six illegal ride-hailing drivers fined more than $13K in one day, says Richmond RCMP
Mounties in Richmond say a crackdown on illegal ride-hailing operators in the city has resulted in more than $13,000 in fines being issued to six drivers in one day. RCMP say officers have been working with the transport ministry to combat illegal ride-hailing operators who "pose a significant risk" to public safety.

Six illegal ride-hailing drivers fined more than $13K in one day, says Richmond RCMP