Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says engine failure less than a minute into a flight contributed to a deadly helicopter crash during a 2023 wildfire in northern Alberta. It says the helicopter's pilot had been tapped to help with firefighting efforts in the Peace River region and took off with an empty water bucket suspended from a 45-metre line.

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's call for the federal government to bar U.S. President Donald Trump from coming to Canada for the G7 summit this June. At an event in Montreal today, Trudeau said he sees the idea of banning Trump as an "irresponsible" approach to governance and dialogue with other nations.

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine
The federal government is moving closer to gaining full control over a massive Russian cargo plane parked in Toronto and hopes to use the proceeds to support Ukraine. In June 2023, the federal government officially seized an aircraft that had been sitting on the tarmac at Toronto's Pearson International Airport since February 2022.

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader
A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader. Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program
The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association says its members are urging all federal parties to keep funding the national dental care program, arguing it's good for the economy. The association says access to oral health care and preventive care increases worker productivity and keeps people from taking sick days. 

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he still intends to slap Canada with tariffs next week after a monthlong reprieve. But Canadians confused about Trump's plans aren't alone, with the U.S. president at times contradicting himself about his own tariff plans.

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute