Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner
Doug Ford's Progressive Conservatives won't have long to sit back and bask in the glow of winning a third majority government with an imminent tariff threat around the corner. The Tories won Ontario's snap provincial election Thursday with Ford speaking about the need to fight U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed tariffs at nearly every turn on the campaign trail.

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats
Anita Anand, minister of transport and internal trade, says she's changed her mind and will run in the upcoming federal election. In January, Anand said she would not run for the Liberal party leadership and would not seek re-election as she considered returning to her former life as an academic.

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats

New Westminster Police urge caution when using apps to meet strangers for sex

New Westminster Police urge caution when using apps to meet strangers for sex
Police in New Westminster are warning residents about the dangers of meeting up with strangers from dating apps for "casual sexual encounters."  Spokesman Sgt. Andrew Leaver says police have responded "on numerous occasions" to calls where a suspect has lured a victim after connecting online through a dating site.

New Westminster Police urge caution when using apps to meet strangers for sex

Canada extends temporary visa application window for Ukrainians

Canada extends temporary visa application window for Ukrainians
The federal government is giving Ukrainians in Canada who fled Russia's invasion another year to apply for new or renewed temporary visas. The new deadline to apply for new or renewed work and study permits under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel program is March 31, 2026.

Canada extends temporary visa application window for Ukrainians

Canada could be barred from a future peacekeeping mission in Ukraine, expert says

Canada could be barred from a future peacekeeping mission in Ukraine, expert says
Canada may have difficulty taking part in a peacekeeping mission in Ukraine after a future ceasefire because it has clearly taken a side in the conflict, an international affairs expert suggests. During a visit to Kyiv on the third anniversary of Russia's full-scale invasion on Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not rule out deploying Canadian troops to the region as part of a possible peace deal.

Canada could be barred from a future peacekeeping mission in Ukraine, expert says

Large number of public servants in biggest departments breaking remote work rules

Large number of public servants in biggest departments breaking remote work rules
The federal government's latest remote work mandate, which took effect in early September, requires all staff employed under the Treasury Board to work on-site a minimum of three days a week. Executives are expected to work in the office four days a week.

Large number of public servants in biggest departments breaking remote work rules