Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Intense pollen season to begin in southwest B.C. this weekend, expert warns

Intense pollen season to begin in southwest B.C. this weekend, expert warns
Get your tissues and allergy medicines ready if you live in southwestern British Columbia, where an expert predicts an intense pollen season is on the way. Cold weather had held the pollen count at bay until recently, but an Ontario-based lab that monitors airborne pollen levels with a network of 30 stations across Canada said its latest report shows Vancouver, Burnaby and Victoria will all experience a significant spike in pollen starting this weekend and in the weeks ahead. 

Intense pollen season to begin in southwest B.C. this weekend, expert warns

Trump calls Freeland 'a whack' and Poilievre 'not a MAGA guy' as tariff threat looms

Trump calls Freeland 'a whack' and Poilievre 'not a MAGA guy' as tariff threat looms
U.S. President Donald Trump is weighing in on domestic Canadian politics as his deadline to impose steep tariffs on Canada inches closer. In an interview with The Spectator, Trump called Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland terrible and "a whack" — and claimed credit for her resignation as finance minister.

Trump calls Freeland 'a whack' and Poilievre 'not a MAGA guy' as tariff threat looms

Ottawa posts $21.7 billion deficit for April-to-December period

Ottawa posts $21.7 billion deficit for April-to-December period
The federal government posted a budgetary deficit of $21.7 billion for the April-to-December period of its 2024-25 fiscal year. The result compared with a deficit of $23.6 billion for the same period a year earlier.

Ottawa posts $21.7 billion deficit for April-to-December period

Group files complaint to B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to remove drug clinic access fees

Group files complaint to B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to remove drug clinic access fees
A complaint has been filed with British Columbia's Human Right Tribunal over clinic fees paid by some of those who get opioid treatments. Vancouver lawyer Jason Gratl says his clients, Garth Mullins and the B.C. Association for People on Opioid Maintenance, have filed the complaint on behalf of those "who paid out-of-pocket private clinic access fees" for opioid agonist treatments.

Group files complaint to B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to remove drug clinic access fees

From boom to bust: Alberta economy back in the red with $5.2-billion deficit budget

From boom to bust: Alberta economy back in the red with $5.2-billion deficit budget
Alberta’s finances, tied for generations to the steep peaks and sharp valleys of oil and gas prices, are once again plunging deep into deficit, with no immediate relief in sight. Finance Minister Nate Horner introduced a budget Thursday that projects a $5.2-billion deficit this fiscal year on total spending of $79 billion.

From boom to bust: Alberta economy back in the red with $5.2-billion deficit budget

'Do better': Murder victims' families react after possible remains found in landfill

'Do better': Murder victims' families react after possible remains found in landfill
The Manitoba government, which is spearheading the search with guidance from family members and First Nations leaders, announced Wednesday that suspected human remains had been discovered at the site.  It could take weeks for coroners to make a positive identification.

'Do better': Murder victims' families react after possible remains found in landfill