Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security
Canadian law enforcement and border officials joined McGuinty and Canada's newly appointed "fentanyl czar" Kevin Brosseau in the U.S. capital this week to make a final diplomatic push against the tariffs. Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until March 4 after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security

B.C.'s NDP government survives non-confidence vote brought forward by Conservatives

B.C.'s NDP government survives non-confidence vote brought forward by Conservatives
The British Columbia government has survived a non-confidence vote late Wednesday after the Opposition Conservative party wasted no time in trying to overthrow the NDP. In a vote that split along party lines, a motion brought forward by Opposition leader John Rustad was narrowly defeated, with every Conservative member voting for while both BC Green Party representatives voted against alongside NDP members.

B.C.'s NDP government survives non-confidence vote brought forward by Conservatives

Vancouver council approves pause on supporting housing projects

Vancouver council approves pause on supporting housing projects
Vancouver's council has approved Mayor Ken Sim's plan to temporarily halt net new supportive housing projects in the city. A news release from Sim's office says it will allow the city to focus to "renewing aging, deteriorating stock," and transition temporary modular housing into permanent homes, while pushing for more supply elsewhere in the region.

Vancouver council approves pause on supporting housing projects

Conservatives launch attacks on Mark Carney over his firm's relocation to the U.S.

Conservatives launch attacks on Mark Carney over his firm's relocation to the U.S.
Carney has become the primary target of Conservative attacks in recent weeks and the party is telling its supporters through fundraising emails that the race is a "sham" and just a "coronation."

Conservatives launch attacks on Mark Carney over his firm's relocation to the U.S.

B.C. looks at coalition of willing provinces to expand trade within Canada, Eby says

B.C. looks at coalition of willing provinces to expand trade within Canada, Eby says
The threat of U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods and services has pushed the need for improved interprovincial trade as provinces look for ways to diversify their markets to protect economies and jobs. Despite the establishment of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement in 2017, many products do not trade freely among provinces and territories.

B.C. looks at coalition of willing provinces to expand trade within Canada, Eby says

Immigrant-owned firms suffer from productivity gap for variety of factors: StatCan

Immigrant-owned firms suffer from productivity gap for variety of factors: StatCan
Companies owned by newcomers to Canada tend to struggle taking their businesses to the next level more than Canadian-born founders, new data suggests. The report released by Statistics Canada on Wednesday explores barriers immigrants to Canada can face when starting and scaling a business. One of the most significant findings was around labour productivity — how much an individual can produce in an hour of work.

Immigrant-owned firms suffer from productivity gap for variety of factors: StatCan