Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec caps international students but is hazy on numbers

Quebec caps international students but is hazy on numbers
Quebec is taking steps to cut the number of international students in the province, but can't say by how many. The government will issue a maximum of around 124,000 acceptance certificates to foreign students this year, down from more than 156,000 last year. The measure targets private colleges that the government has said are using education as a business model to sell citizenship. 

Quebec caps international students but is hazy on numbers

Polls suggest a close race as federal election approaches

Polls suggest a close race as federal election approaches
Multiple polls now suggest the next federal election — which could begin in a matter of weeks — will be a tight race. At least one major pollster has the Liberals in the lead and ahead of the Conservatives for the first time in nearly four years.

Polls suggest a close race as federal election approaches

Canada, Germany working on diversifying trade in face of U.S. threats

Canada, Germany working on diversifying trade in face of U.S. threats
Canadian companies and diplomats are working with their European colleagues to find ways to diversify trade as the U.S. threatens to impose steep tariffs. Germany's Ambassador to Canada Tjorven Bellmann says European ambassadors in Ottawa have been in touch with corporations on both sides of the Atlantic to discuss how they can boost trade.

Canada, Germany working on diversifying trade in face of U.S. threats

Supreme Court of Canada moving away from social media platform X

Supreme Court of Canada moving away from social media platform X
The Supreme Court of Canada says it's moving away from the social media platform X. In an apparent farewell post to its more than 45,000 subscribers, the top court says it will focus its communication efforts on other platforms.

Supreme Court of Canada moving away from social media platform X

The Tories say Carney is being 'sneaky' about his assets. What do the rules say?

The Tories say Carney is being 'sneaky' about his assets. What do the rules say?
In a series of press conferences in recent weeks, the federal Conservatives have demanded that Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney comply with the conflict of interest rules that apply to members of Parliament and cabinet ministers. Carney, who is neither an MP nor a member of cabinet, has said he will comply with the rules when they apply to him.

The Tories say Carney is being 'sneaky' about his assets. What do the rules say?

Liberals advance voting begins, Mark Carney still frontrunner

Liberals advance voting begins, Mark Carney still frontrunner
With the debates now done, Liberal party members can start casting advance ballots today to select their next leader a little under two weeks from now. They can cast their ranked ballot choices by mail or in some instances by phone, and each electoral district counts for 100 points in the race.

Liberals advance voting begins, Mark Carney still frontrunner