Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Provinces have roughly $100B at hand for tariff relief, Desjardins estimates

Provinces have roughly $100B at hand for tariff relief, Desjardins estimates
Canada's provincial governments have enough fiscal firepower to respond to looming U.S. tariffs without supersizing their debt burdens, a new report says.  The analysis released Tuesday from Desjardins Economics predicted upcoming provincial budgets will be dominated by plans to prepare for an unknown 2025 as promised tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump put a cloud over fiscal forecasts.

Provinces have roughly $100B at hand for tariff relief, Desjardins estimates

Ailing Pope Frances appoints new Archbishop of Vancouver

Ailing Pope Frances appoints new Archbishop of Vancouver
Pope Francis, who is hospitalized in critical condition with double pneumonia, has named a new archbishop for Vancouver. The Vancouver archdiocese says the Pope appointed Archbishop Richard Smith and accepted the resignation of J. Michael Miller. 

Ailing Pope Frances appoints new Archbishop of Vancouver

Another earthquake for B.C., less than four days after cities rattled

Another earthquake for B.C., less than four days after cities rattled
An earthquake has struck off the British Columbia coast, less than four days after major population centres were shaken by a similar-sized tremor. But Earthquakes Canada says the latest quake wasn't felt by anyone and it occurred in the Pacific, 182 kilometres west of Port Alice in northwest Vancouver Island.

Another earthquake for B.C., less than four days after cities rattled

Windstorm knocks out power to thousands of BC Hydro customers along south coast

Windstorm knocks out power to thousands of BC Hydro customers along south coast
An overnight windstorm along British Columbia's south coast has knocked out power for thousands. BC Hydro is reporting more 7,000 people along southern Vancouver Island woke up to outages on Tuesday.

Windstorm knocks out power to thousands of BC Hydro customers along south coast

B.C. plans 'substantive changes' for interprovincial trade

B.C. plans 'substantive changes' for interprovincial trade
British Columbia plans to enter a meeting with other provinces next week prepared to make "substantive changes" to its interprovincial trade barriers as the threat of hefty U.S. tariffs looms, Economic Development Minister Diana Gibson said. Gibson met virtually Friday with her provincial counterparts on the Committee on Internal Trade and said they were committed to reducing trade barriers within the country.

B.C. plans 'substantive changes' for interprovincial trade

Rain and possible snow melt set off high-water warnings for parts of B.C.

Rain and possible snow melt set off high-water warnings for parts of B.C.
A series of wet weather systems bringing rain and a warming trend has prompted high streamflow advisories for waterways on B.C.'s south coast and the lower half of Vancouver Island.  Environment Canada has issued rainfall warnings for Howe Sound and communities in north and eastern Metro Vancouver, saying as much as 100 millimetres of rain could fall by the end of the weekend. 

Rain and possible snow melt set off high-water warnings for parts of B.C.