Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Doug Ford eyes Ontario electricity exports as way to 'hit back' against U.S. tariffs

Doug Ford eyes Ontario electricity exports as way to 'hit back' against U.S. tariffs
Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford is musing about making Americans pay more for the electricity Ontario sends to the United States, in response to any levies President Donald Trump imposes on Canadian goods and services.  

Doug Ford eyes Ontario electricity exports as way to 'hit back' against U.S. tariffs

Joly seeks more intelligence sharing with Europeans as Washington drifts from Ukraine

Joly seeks more intelligence sharing with Europeans as Washington drifts from Ukraine
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Ottawa seeks to deepen its intelligence sharing with European partners, as Washington diverges on issues like Ukraine. Intelligence experts have expressed concern about U.S. President Donald Trump appointing officials who have shared false information and talked of retribution for intelligence agencies that don't align with Trump.

Joly seeks more intelligence sharing with Europeans as Washington drifts from Ukraine

Public safety minister heads to Washington to discuss efforts to fight fentanyl

Public safety minister heads to Washington to discuss efforts to fight fentanyl
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty is headed to Washington to discuss the latest efforts by Canada and the United States to fight deadly fentanyl. Joining McGuinty is newly appointed "fentanyl czar" Kevin Brosseau and representatives of the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency.

Public safety minister heads to Washington to discuss efforts to fight fentanyl

Younger Canadians drive trust in AI-generated information, poll indicates

Younger Canadians drive trust in AI-generated information, poll indicates
Among generation Z Canadians — those born between 1997 and 2012 — 41 per cent say they see AI systems as reliable information sources. That’s not far off from the 49 per cent of gen Z respondents who said they trust stories on news media websites, according to the annual CanTrust Index published by Proof Strategies.

Younger Canadians drive trust in AI-generated information, poll indicates

Liberal leadership debate kicks off with questions about threat posed by Trump

Liberal leadership debate kicks off with questions about threat posed by Trump
He wasn't on the stage but U.S. President Donald Trump's shadow towered over the Liberal leadership race during Monday night's French-language debate. The candidates — former central banker Mark Carney, former finance minister Chrystia Freeland, former government House leader Karina Gould and former MP Frank Baylis — spent much of the debate talking about the threat Trump poses to Canada's economy and sovereignty.

Liberal leadership debate kicks off with questions about threat posed by Trump

Liberal leadership candidates to face off in final debate in Montreal

Liberal leadership candidates to face off in final debate in Montreal
Liberal leadership contenders will take the stage again Tuesday night for the English-language debate in Montreal — their last shot to confront each other in person and shake up the race. The four candidates left in the race played it safe in Monday night’s French-language debate.

Liberal leadership candidates to face off in final debate in Montreal