Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Flu activity in B.C. peaking as COVID-19, respiratory virus decline

Flu activity in B.C. peaking as COVID-19, respiratory virus decline
The BC Centre for Disease Control says influenza A infections remain high and continue to increase, with the percentage of tests returning positive up to 24 per cent in the week ending Feb. 1. That figure is more than double that of the 11.7 per cent reported between Dec. 22 and Dec. 28. 

Flu activity in B.C. peaking as COVID-19, respiratory virus decline

Workers at B.C. LifeLabs file 72-hour strike notice over wages, benefits

Workers at B.C. LifeLabs file 72-hour strike notice over wages, benefits
The union representing about 1,200 workers at LifeLabs throughout British Columbia says it has issued a 72-hour strike notice to the employer. The B.C. General Employees' Union says in a news release that the action comes after months of negotiations and LifeLabs' refusal to bring wages and benefits in line with the cost of living.

Workers at B.C. LifeLabs file 72-hour strike notice over wages, benefits

Canada still top of mind for Trump, 'not a good place to be'

Canada still top of mind for Trump, 'not a good place to be'
As President Donald Trump signed an executive order for reciprocal tariffs on Thursday that escalates his trade threats, his administration took aim at Canada's digital services tax as a major trade irritant. The White House sent out a document calling digital taxes in both Canada and France "unfair" for taxing American companies.

Canada still top of mind for Trump, 'not a good place to be'

B.C. cancels $1,000 grocery rebate and pauses some hiring over Trump's tariff threats

B.C. cancels $1,000 grocery rebate and pauses some hiring over Trump's tariff threats
The British Columbia government is cancelling a promised $1,000 grocery rebate and will freeze hiring of some public service positions to "find dollars" in its budget as it prepares for "four years of unpredictability" from the United States, Finance Minister Brenda Bailey says. Bailey said Thursday that the impacts of the "reckless" and "destabilizing" tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump are impossible to predict.

B.C. cancels $1,000 grocery rebate and pauses some hiring over Trump's tariff threats

GST break brought a lot of work but little — if any — gains for businesses

GST break brought a lot of work but little — if any — gains for businesses
About two months after the federal government temporarily knocked the GST off a holiday-centric array of goods, Dave Doyon says he considers the move “a gift” even though a hoped-for flurry of sales never fully materialized.

GST break brought a lot of work but little — if any — gains for businesses

Two men arrested for fake taxi scam targeting B.C. universities, shopping centres

Two men arrested for fake taxi scam targeting B.C. universities, shopping centres
Metro Vancouver Transit Police say two men from Ontario have been arrested for taking part in a fake taxi scam that targeted people at universities and shopping centres in B.C.'s Lower Mainland. They say in a news release that the scam involves one of the suspects posing as a taxi passenger who asks passersby for help covering the charge.

Two men arrested for fake taxi scam targeting B.C. universities, shopping centres