Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says Canada will push back on U.S. tariffs with Trump administration

Trudeau says Canada will push back on U.S. tariffs with Trump administration
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday Ottawa will work to convince U.S. President Donald Trump that his "unacceptable" steel and aluminum tariffs will hurt both countries. A senior government official said that Trudeau spoke with U.S. Vice-President JD Vance about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance previously represented in the U.S. Senate.

Trudeau says Canada will push back on U.S. tariffs with Trump administration

Canada's privacy czar launches investigation into student information data breach

Canada's privacy czar launches investigation into student information data breach
The federal privacy watchdog says he has launched a formal investigation into a cybersecurity breach involving a student information system used across Canada. Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says the probe was launched after his office received a breach report from U.S.-based PowerSchool, which provides the affected software, and a complaint about the incident.

Canada's privacy czar launches investigation into student information data breach

Leger poll: Carney as leader would have Liberals tied with Conservatives

Leger poll: Carney as leader would have Liberals tied with Conservatives
A new poll suggests that if Mark Carney wins the Liberal leadership race, he would erase the massive lead the Conservatives have enjoyed for the past year and a half. A Leger survey suggests a Carney-led party would boost Liberal support by six points to 37 per cent, putting them in a dead heat with the Tories.

Leger poll: Carney as leader would have Liberals tied with Conservatives

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge
A Vancouver Island school district says an elementary school teacher has been charged with accessing child pornography. Court records show the man faces a charge for an offence alleged to have been committed last March in Central Saanich, B.C.

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake
The body of an 18-year-old man has been recovered from Shuswap Lake in British Columbia's Interior after he fell through the ice over the weekend. Police say in a statement that the RCMP's underwater recovery team found the teen's body on Monday.

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says he believes the recent tariff friction with the United States will fundamentally change the way Canadians approach trade with their southern neighbours, and things "will never go back to the way that we were before."

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs