Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats. Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence.

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Trump signs order imposing 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum

Trump signs order imposing 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum
U.S. President Donald Trump has signed executive orders slapping 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products. U.S. President Donald Trump is slapping 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products.

Trump signs order imposing 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum

Liberal leadership hopeful Ruby Dhalla says she wants a translator for French debate

Liberal leadership hopeful Ruby Dhalla says she wants a translator for French debate
Liberal leadership candidate Ruby Dhalla says that while she's still working on her French skills, she plans to ask for a translator to help her in the party's upcoming French-language debate. Dhalla is one of the five leadership candidates who will face off in two debates in Montreal later this month, one in French and another in English.

Liberal leadership hopeful Ruby Dhalla says she wants a translator for French debate

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says
The Assembly of First Nations says children and their families who lived under Canada's First Nations child welfare system from 1991 to 2022 can apply for a class action settlement starting in March. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak says the settlement is an acknowledgment of the harms First Nations people experienced under a "racist system that has broken so many lives and families."

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Singh promises 100% tariffs on Tesla, revival of electric vehicle incentive program

Singh promises 100% tariffs on Tesla, revival of electric vehicle incentive program
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says Canada should charge 100 per cent tariffs on Tesla vehicles for as long as its trade war with the United States continues. He also says in a new release today that a government led by him would revive the federal government's incentive program for electric vehicle purchases.

Singh promises 100% tariffs on Tesla, revival of electric vehicle incentive program

Pedestrian killed in crash in Abbotsford linked to impaired driving

Pedestrian killed in crash in Abbotsford linked to impaired driving
A male pedestrian is dead after he was struck by what police are describing as an impaired driver in Abbotsford..... Police say the crash happened this morning in the 30000 block of Harris Road, where a white Dodge pickup truck had struck a power pole with enough force to shear off the pole.

Pedestrian killed in crash in Abbotsford linked to impaired driving