Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP's First Turbaned Officer Baltej Dhillon Among Three Newly Appointed Senators

RCMP's First Turbaned Officer Baltej Dhillon Among Three Newly Appointed Senators
The Prime Minister's Office says in a news release that the Governor General has appointed Baltej Dhillon for British Columbia, Martine Hébert for Quebec and Todd Lewis for Saskatchewan.

RCMP's First Turbaned Officer Baltej Dhillon Among Three Newly Appointed Senators

B.C. judge tosses drug evidence for 'numerous and flagrant' rights violations

B.C. judge tosses drug evidence for 'numerous and flagrant' rights violations
The court issued two rulings on evidence collected by Vernon Mounties in a case against Nabil Abdelkader, who police believed was in the drug trade after finding methamphetamine and cocaine in a jeep they searched in October 2020. 

B.C. judge tosses drug evidence for 'numerous and flagrant' rights violations

Canada invests $72 million in satellite constellation to monitor active wildfires

Canada invests $72 million in satellite constellation to monitor active wildfires
Canada is investing $72 million on a novel satellite constellation that will monitor active forest fires across the country. Federal Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault made the announcement today at the Canadian Space Agency headquarters south of Montreal.

Canada invests $72 million in satellite constellation to monitor active wildfires

Three men in Quebec accused of smuggling people from the U.S. into Canada

Three men in Quebec accused of smuggling people from the U.S. into Canada
The RCMP say three men in Quebec have been charged for helping to smuggle people into Canada from the United States.  During two separate events last year, the three men were intercepted in vehicles near the U.S. border in the Montérégie region southwest of Montreal, allegedly waiting to pick up people who had crossed into Canada illegally. 

Three men in Quebec accused of smuggling people from the U.S. into Canada

Health care, tax cuts and Highway 401 tunnel focus of Ontario campaign trail

Health care, tax cuts and Highway 401 tunnel focus of Ontario campaign trail
Health care, tax cuts and a pledge to build a tunnel under Highway 401 are the focus on the Ontario campaign trail today. NDP Leader Marit Stiles has pledged to connect every Ontarian to a family doctor or nurse practitioner at a cost of more than $4 billion.

Health care, tax cuts and Highway 401 tunnel focus of Ontario campaign trail

Liberal leadership candidates will have to clear $125,000 hurdle today

Liberal leadership candidates will have to clear $125,000 hurdle today
Federal Liberal leadership candidates will have to cross another hurdle today to remain in the race — a payment of $125,000 to the party. The party requires candidates to pay a total entrance fee of $350,000 in instalments.

Liberal leadership candidates will have to clear $125,000 hurdle today