Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Booing of U.S. anthem continues at Canadian sporting events despite tariff pause

Booing of U.S. anthem continues at Canadian sporting events despite tariff pause
Canadian sports fans continued to voice their displeasure at American economic policies on Tuesday despite a pause in a trade war between Canada and the United States. Fans at Toronto's Scotiabank Arena booed during the U.S. national anthem before the Raptors hosted the New York Knicks on Tuesday.

Booing of U.S. anthem continues at Canadian sporting events despite tariff pause

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat
The British Columbia government has released a list of 18 critical mineral and energy projects worth roughly $20 billion that it said it's working to accelerate in the face of ongoing tariff threats from the United States. The list contains mining projects that have received pushback from some B.C. and Alaskan First Nations groups, including Eskay Creek, Highland Valley and Red Chris mines.

B.C. fast-tracking 18 mining and energy projects in face of U.S. tariff threat

Fraudsters try a new method to steal bank cards in Langley

Fraudsters try a new method to steal bank cards in Langley
Langley R-C-M-P are warning the public about a new attempt to steal bank cards by fraudsters. The scheme includes calling the victim first to warn them someone is trying to tamper with or compromise their card, then arriving at the victim's house to "collect" the tainted card.

Fraudsters try a new method to steal bank cards in Langley

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores
City council has passed a bylaw that restricts the sale of knives in Edmonton convenience stores. Mayor Amarjeet Sohi says convenient and quick access to knives makes the community less safe.

Edmonton city council votes to restrict the sale of knives in convenience stores

4 found dead on a First Nation home

4 found dead on a First Nation home
Police say four people have been found dead in a home on the Carry the Kettle Nakoda Nation in southern Saskatchewan. RCMP say officers with the File Hills Police Service were called to the home, where they found the bodies.

4 found dead on a First Nation home

Uptick in Vancouver home sales

Uptick in Vancouver home sales
Greater Vancouver home sales went up again last month, but the region’s real estate board says more people were trying to sell than buy. Andrew Lis with Greater Vancouver Realtors says momentum is starting to shift from buyer demand to sellers, helping to keep the market balanced and limit price fluctuations.

Uptick in Vancouver home sales