Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Body found in Prince George

Body found in Prince George
Police in Prince George say a body has been found near the intersection of highways 97 and 16, southwest of the downtown. R-C-M-P say officers responded to the call shortly before 9 this morning.

Body found in Prince George

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil
Finance worker Michael Atkinson is a fan of electric cars, but lately he found himself embarrassed to drive his Tesla Model 3 around Vancouver. Dismayed by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and his association with U.S. President Donald Trump, Atkinson now drives an electric Volkswagen ID.4 after returning his Tesla to the dealership with two months left on the lease.

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada
To justify his executive order imposing stiff tariffs on goods from Canada, Mexico and China, U.S. President Donald Trump cited an "extraordinary threat posed by illegal aliens and drugs, including deadly fentanyl." Trump agreed Monday to pause the planned tariffs against Canada and Mexico for 30 days in response to both countries promising to bolster border security.

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely
A month-long pause on Donald Trump's tariff threat has done little to ease Canadian concerns as key cabinet ministers return to Washington hoping to push the devastating duties off the table permanently. Wilkinson is making the case among key Republicans for a Canada-U. S. energy and resource alliance — part of an effort to align with U.S. President Donald Trump's goal of making America energy dominant.

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats
As U.S. President Donald Trump continues to hold out the threat of steep tariffs on Canadian imports, the federal trade minister is citing a new deal with Ecuador as proof that its trade diversification strategy is working. Mary Ng told The Canadian Press the free-trade agreement with Ecuador, the sixth-largest economy in South America, is the 16th such deal signed since the government launched its trade diversification push eight years ago.

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88
The Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the world’s Ismaili Muslims, has died at the age of 88. A post on social media from the Aga Khan Development Network says he passed away peacefully today in Lisbon, surrounded by his family.

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88