Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150
Canada's top court is expanding its public outreach to build trust at a time of increasing misinformation as more people get their news from social media. Chief Justice Richard Wagner and other justices of the Supreme Court of Canada launched a cross-country tour in Victoria, B.C., on Monday to mark the court's 150th anniversary.

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Weak loonie signals economy is 'in trouble': currency expert

Weak loonie signals economy is 'in trouble': currency expert
The Bank of Canada's end-of-day exchange rate Monday had the loonie trading at 68.48 cents US, but the Canadian dollar neared 70 cents in the minutes after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the planned tariffs would be paused for at least 30 days. The overall trend for the Canadian dollar however has been weak, which has implications for the economy. 

Weak loonie signals economy is 'in trouble': currency expert

Interprovincial trade barriers: what they are, why they exist and how to cut them

Interprovincial trade barriers: what they are, why they exist and how to cut them
The Trump administration's on-again, off-again threat to impose damaging tariffs has boosted an old idea for driving economic growth in Canada: eliminating interprovincial trade barriers. Here's a look at how interprovincial trade barriers work and why years of efforts to tear them down them have largely failed.

Interprovincial trade barriers: what they are, why they exist and how to cut them

Trudeau says U.S. tariffs on Canada will be paused for 30 days

Trudeau says U.S. tariffs on Canada will be paused for 30 days
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says "proposed tariffs" between Canada and the United States will be paused for at least 30 days while the countries work together on the border.

Trudeau says U.S. tariffs on Canada will be paused for 30 days

Canada's forestry sector faces uncertainty with 25 per cent U.S. tariffs

Canada's forestry sector faces uncertainty with 25 per cent U.S. tariffs
A wide shadow of uncertainty has been cast over Canada's forestry sector by U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to impose a 25-per-cent tariff on its lumber products. Several industry groups have released statements criticizing the tariff as unnecessary and harmful for both sides, a sentiment echoed by British Columbia Premier David Eby who vows full support for the provincial sector.

Canada's forestry sector faces uncertainty with 25 per cent U.S. tariffs

Trump mistaken, U.S. banks can and do operate in Canada says finance professor

Trump mistaken, U.S. banks can and do operate in Canada says finance professor
A finance professor at the University of Toronto says American banks do operate in Canada despite assertions by U.S. President Donald Trump that they are not allowed to do business in the country. The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions lists Amex Bank of Canada, Citibank Canada and J.P. Morgan Bank Canada on Schedule II, all having U.S. parent companies. 

Trump mistaken, U.S. banks can and do operate in Canada says finance professor