Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Wendy Cocchia sworn in as B.C.'s 31st lieutenant-governor

Wendy Cocchia sworn in as B.C.'s 31st lieutenant-governor
Premier David Eby has introduced British Columbia's new lieutenant-governor, saying Wendy Cocchia's lifelong leadership and dedication to community service sets an example for everyone. Cocchia, a longtime businesswoman and philanthropist, was sworn in at a ceremony at B.C.'s Parliament buildings on Thursday before an audience of family, friends, Indigenous leaders, members of the legislature and other dignitaries.

Wendy Cocchia sworn in as B.C.'s 31st lieutenant-governor

Avalanche warning issued for BC

Avalanche warning issued for BC
Avalanche Canada is warning anyone planning to head into British Columbia's backcountry that incoming winter weather is expected to bring a "major increase in avalanche danger."

Avalanche warning issued for BC

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam
Burnaby R-C-M-P say a 26-year-old man is facing 16 fraud-related charges following an investigation into an alleged bank card scam. The Mounties had issued a public warning in February 2024 after two seniors in Burnaby were scammed out of several thousand dollars each.

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam

25 year-old arrested for groping in Vancouver

25 year-old arrested for groping in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver say a 25-year-old man has been sentenced after pleading guilty to groping women who had been walking in the downtown area in 2023. Sex crimes officers began investigating that spring after a series of reports from women saying they had been assaulted near B-C Place stadium and Rogers Arena.

25 year-old arrested for groping in Vancouver

How Trump's foreign policy could shape Canada's approach to aid, trade and intel

How Trump's foreign policy could shape Canada's approach to aid, trade and intel
U.S. President Donald Trump's "America First" changes to foreign policy could have drastic consequences for Canada's approach toaid, trade, intelligence and diplomacy.

How Trump's foreign policy could shape Canada's approach to aid, trade and intel

Google payments for news organizations to begin later than expected

Google payments for news organizations to begin later than expected
Canadian journalism organizations are having to wait a bit longer for their share of the $100 million Google agreed to pay news outlets to be exempt from the Online News Act. The organization administering the money now says funds will flow to outlets later than the January timeline it first provided.

Google payments for news organizations to begin later than expected