Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

A short list of some of the U.S. goods to be hit with Canadian tariffs on Tuesday

A short list of some of the U.S. goods to be hit with Canadian tariffs on Tuesday
Effective Tuesday, Canada is imposing 25 per cent tariffs on $30 billion in goods originating in the United States — part of Canada's response to sweeping tariffs on Canadian goods ordered by U.S. President Donald Trump. Here are some of the major categories of imported items being hit with Canadian tariffs, along with their approximate annual dollar values:

A short list of some of the U.S. goods to be hit with Canadian tariffs on Tuesday

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. among provinces pulling U.S. booze from provincial retailers

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. among provinces pulling U.S. booze from provincial retailers
Canadian alcohol producers are cheering decisions from several provinces to yank U.S. booze from provincial liquor stores. They say the move will deliver a boost to homegrown business while adding ammunition to a federal plan aimed at getting the U.S. to back down from tariffs.

Ontario, Quebec and B.C. among provinces pulling U.S. booze from provincial retailers

Canada slaps retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods, outlines response plan

Canada slaps retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods, outlines response plan
Ottawa is imposing 25 per cent tariffs on hundreds of goods originating in the United States — from meat and milk to carpets and curtains — in response to steep new American levies against Canada. A federal official also signalled that Canada will pursue available legal remedies in response to the U.S. breaching its international trade commitments.

Canada slaps retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods, outlines response plan

Employment Outlook 2025: Opportunities and Challenges in BC and Canada

Employment Outlook 2025: Opportunities and Challenges in BC and Canada
The employment landscape in British Columbia (BC) and Canada is undergoing dynamic transformations shaped by economic shifts, evolving labor market demands, and demographic changes. As we move into 2025, a comprehensive outlook reveals both opportunities and challenges for job seekers, particularly for immigrants, underrepresented groups, and youth entering the workforce.  

Employment Outlook 2025: Opportunities and Challenges in BC and Canada

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions
The federal government says it is deferring the implementation of a hike to the capital gains inclusion rate to next year and plans to introduce new exemptions to ensure most middle-class Canadians do not pay more tax if the rate becomes official. The deferral announced by Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc on Friday delays the implementation of the change from June 25, 2024 to Jan. 1, 2026.

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions

Surrey mayor joins alliance of border communities ahead of possible tariffs

Surrey mayor joins alliance of border communities ahead of possible tariffs
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke said potential U.S. tariffs would put hundreds of jobs in her community at risk, as she became the latest mayor to join an alliance advocating for Canadian border communities. Locke said Thursday that more than 20 per cent of businesses in Surrey have direct trade ties with the United States amounting to roughly $2.8 billion in cross-border commerce each year.

Surrey mayor joins alliance of border communities ahead of possible tariffs