Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking
The British Columbia government has approved a legal order to extend temporary protections to an old-growth forest on Vancouver Island even as the minister of forests acknowledged that the RCMP are investigating reports of tree spiking in the area. Ravi Parmar said he was informed of the reports last week, calling the news of such vandalism "incredibly alarming."

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post
British Columbia's lieutenant-governor is leaving office after seven years on the job, with Premier David Eby telling her farewell ceremony that her focus on reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples was among her key contributions. Janet Austin's work during her tenure advanced reconciliation in the province, Eby told the ceremony at the legislature in Victoria on Wednesday.

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast
Environment Canada says wintry conditions are expected along British Columbia's south coast this week. It says a low pressure system is making its way toward the coast, bringing steady precipitation starting Thursday afternoon. 

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning
During Wednesday's Senate hearing on his nomination to lead the U.S. Department of Commerce, billionaire financier Howard Lutnick said the plan to impose duties on Canada and Mexico is distinct from Trump's long-term tariff plans.

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund
With Donald Trump making "territorial claims," the new head of CBC says defunding the public broadcaster could erode a pillar of Canada's cultural identity. Marie-Philippe Bouchard, CEO of CBC-Radio-Canada, is calling for a "national conversation" on the Conservative promise to defund, and is launching a tour to get it started.

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund

These industries would be hit hardest by Trump's 25 per cent tariffs

These industries would be hit hardest by Trump's 25 per cent tariffs
Statistics Canada says the value of Canadian exports to the United States in 2023 exceeded $594 billion. More than 43 per cent of that came from just six industries: oil and gas extraction, oil and gas refining, auto manufacturing, aluminum production and processing, aerospace and crop and animal production.

These industries would be hit hardest by Trump's 25 per cent tariffs