Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

BoC cuts key rate by quarter point to 3% as tariffs threat looms

BoC cuts key rate by quarter point to 3% as tariffs threat looms
The Bank of Canada delivered another interest rate cut on Wednesday, reducing its policy rate by a quarter-percentage point to three per cent. But looming U.S. tariffs are weighing on the central bank’s economic outlook.

BoC cuts key rate by quarter point to 3% as tariffs threat looms

SPS charge man for allegedly ramming his way past a police cruiser

SPS charge man for allegedly ramming his way past a police cruiser
Surrey police have charged a 29-year-old man who is alleged to have tried to ram his way past a police cruiser.  It started when officers investigated a report of a suspicious vehicle in a parking lot on Friday.

SPS charge man for allegedly ramming his way past a police cruiser

Foreign interference probe calls on party leaders to get security clearances

Foreign interference probe calls on party leaders to get security clearances
Poilievre is the only party leader who has not opted to get the top-secret clearance that would allow him to receive briefings from security and intelligence agencies like CSIS. His chief of staff does have clearance.

Foreign interference probe calls on party leaders to get security clearances

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border
In a news release published Tuesday, the National Police Federation says it met with Canadian and U.S. police and public safety unions to talk about illegal migration, drug and firearms smuggling and human trafficking. The union says that the discussions helped it draft a set of recommendations for the Canadian and U.S. governments.

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid
Premier David Eby says protecting British Columbians from the potential impact of U.S. tariffs will be taken as seriously as the relief response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He says every decision being taken by his ministers, including plans for next month's budget, will be made through the lens of a "potentially protracted trade war."

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'
U.S. President Donald Trump's press secretary says the plan to slap Canada with punishing tariffs on Saturday is still in play. Karoline Leavitt told reporters at the White House that she spoke with the president Monday night and he indicated Feb. 1 was "still on the books" for the introduction of damaging duties against Canada and Mexico.

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'