Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Winds fan northeast B.C. wildfire, but aid crews working to save Tumbler Ridge

Winds fan northeast B.C. wildfire, but aid crews working to save Tumbler Ridge
Gusty winds have kicked up the activity of a huge wildfire in northeastern British Columbia, forcing evacuation orders for another 14 remote properties outside Fort Nelson. The Peace River Regional District issued two evacuation orders Sunday as winds fanned the 4,049-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze.  

Winds fan northeast B.C. wildfire, but aid crews working to save Tumbler Ridge

Shooting in Downtown: VPD

Shooting in Downtown: VPD
Sergeant Steve Addison says one person was arrested at the scene, but investigators have yet to determine if there are more suspects. He says the shooting occurred Saturday evening inside a building near East Hastings Street and Princess Avenue.

Shooting in Downtown: VPD

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay
The search for a man who went missing during a hike near Lions Bay off the Sea to Sky highway has been called off. Lions Bay emergency program coordinator Phil Folkersen says a body has been found and it is believed to be that of Michael Tu.

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay

Man charged in Maple Ridge homicide

Man charged in Maple Ridge homicide
A 31-year-old man has been charged with second degree murder in the 2022 death of Arthur Comeau of Maple Ridge. R-C-M-P say the 41-year-old was shot to death on April 28th of last year.

Man charged in Maple Ridge homicide

2 people found dead in Kelowna home

2 people found dead in Kelowna home
They say officers responded to a 9-1-1 call last night from a home on Swan Drive. The bodies of two people were found inside the home. Police say they believe the incident was isolated and that there is no threat to public safety.  

2 people found dead in Kelowna home

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference
Johnston's appointment has been contentious, with Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre repeatedly accusing him of being too close to Trudeau's family to provide an unbiased review of government actions.

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference