Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Conservative filibuster threatens potential citizenship for children born abroad

Conservative filibuster threatens potential citizenship for children born abroad
As it stands, Canadian parents who were born abroad cannot pass their citizenship down to their child unless the child was born in Canada. The NDP and Liberals proposed a change that would allow those parents to pass down Canadian citizenship if they can prove they've spent at least three years in the country.

Conservative filibuster threatens potential citizenship for children born abroad

Global economic growth slow: World Bank

Global economic growth slow: World Bank
The latest outlook from the World Bank predicts the growth of the global economy will likely slow sharply this year. The anti-poverty agency estimates the international economy will expand just 2.1 per cent after growing 3.1 per cent last year.  

Global economic growth slow: World Bank

Job action at Capilano U in B.C., as contracts inked with staff at five other schools

Job action at Capilano U in B.C., as contracts inked with staff at five other schools
A statement on the university's website says classes are suspended at its main campus and its Sechelt campus on the Sunshine Coast.  The job action comes as the Ministry of Finance announces agreements affecting about 2,100 public sector CUPE support staff at five post-secondary institutions in B.C.

Job action at Capilano U in B.C., as contracts inked with staff at five other schools

Dead body found in Kelowna

Dead body found in Kelowna
Mounties say a man has been found dead in Kelowna. They say officers responded to a report of the body in the area of McCulloch Road at Myra Forest Service Road around 8 a-m Sunday.

Dead body found in Kelowna

Fatal fire in North Vancouver

Fatal fire in North Vancouver
Mounties and firefighters in North Vancouver say one person died in a house fire in the city. The North Vancouver R-C-M-P and the city's fire department say they are investigating Friday's blaze in the 400-block of Queensbury Avenue.  

Fatal fire in North Vancouver

B.C. officials push back on safe supply critics, seeing 'no sign' drugs are diverted

B.C. officials push back on safe supply critics, seeing 'no sign' drugs are diverted
B.C.'s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe — who joined Charlesworth and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry at a news briefing — says toxicology tests show hydromorphone hasn't been present in any significant number of deaths.

B.C. officials push back on safe supply critics, seeing 'no sign' drugs are diverted