Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s Eby says Asia trade mission aims to reduce risks amid international unease

B.C.'s Eby says Asia trade mission aims to reduce risks amid international unease
The premier and his delegation have not visited China, B.C.’s second largest trade partner, during the two−week trip but instead focused on Japan, South Korea and Singapore and have met, so far, with a range of businesses including a large Japanese rental housing company looking to break into the Canadian market.

B.C.'s Eby says Asia trade mission aims to reduce risks amid international unease

Man drowns in North Vancouver lake

Man drowns in North Vancouver lake
Firefighters say they were called to the lake around 3:30 p-m and though bystanders and emergency responders performed C-P-R on the man, he did not survive. North Vancouver Assistant Fire Chief Dwayne Derban says the lake is mostly for fishing and not for swimming.  

Man drowns in North Vancouver lake

Trudeau raises Poland's democratic backsliding as prime minister visits Toronto

Trudeau raises Poland's democratic backsliding as prime minister visits Toronto
The visit comes amid unprecedented economic and military collaboration between the two countries. On Monday, the U.S. State Department expressed concern over a new law "that could be misused to interfere with Poland's free and fair elections."

Trudeau raises Poland's democratic backsliding as prime minister visits Toronto

Feds open to cutting plastic production but global agreement will be hard: Guilbeault

Feds open to cutting plastic production but global agreement will be hard: Guilbeault
At the United Nations Environment Assembly in March 2022, 175 nations agreed to launch talks to create a global plastics treaty to eliminate plastic waste by the end of 2024. There are three more rounds of talks guaranteed before then, and Guilbeault said Canada is going to host the next round about a year from now.

Feds open to cutting plastic production but global agreement will be hard: Guilbeault

Gurpartap Singh Walia and his son charged with sexual exploitation, assault of teenage girls in Calgary

Gurpartap Singh Walia and his son charged with sexual exploitation, assault of teenage girls in Calgary
Sumrit Walia, 24, faces about 20 charges — including sexual interference with a minor, sexual exploitation as well as possessing, accessing and creating child pornography. His 56-year-old father, Gurpartap Singh Walia, is also charged with sexual assault, sexual interference with a minor and selling contraband tobacco.

Gurpartap Singh Walia and his son charged with sexual exploitation, assault of teenage girls in Calgary

Plane crash in Surrey on 152nd St, pilot hurt and road closures in effect

Plane crash in Surrey on 152nd St, pilot hurt and road closures in effect
152 Street between 72 Avenue and 68 Avenue has been closed in both directions to all traffic. Police are requesting people plan ahead, avoid the area and use alternate routes. It is unknown how long the closures will remain in effect.

Plane crash in Surrey on 152nd St, pilot hurt and road closures in effect