Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vehicle photos released in Guildford shooting

Vehicle photos released in Guildford shooting
Surrey R-C-M-P say the shooting happened on May 2nd at 8 p-m in a parking lot on 108 Avenue, where officers found two victims who had been shot. One victim, 20-year-old Jayden Prasad, died of his injuries while the other victim recovered.

Vehicle photos released in Guildford shooting

19 year old pedestrian struck in Burnaby

19 year old pedestrian struck in Burnaby
Burnaby R-C-M-P say the crash happened at 1:50 p-m near Imperial Street and Patterson Avenue, when an eastbound car veered onto the sidewalk and hit the 19-year-old victim. The victim remains in hospital in serious condition, and police have ruled out impaired driving as a factor.

19 year old pedestrian struck in Burnaby

Surrey motor vehicle crash into river

Surrey motor vehicle crash into river
Police say the incident happened at around 1:30 p-m, when a black S-U-V driving southbound near the 3600 block of 152 Street struck another southbound car, left the road, and went into the Nicomeki River.  

Surrey motor vehicle crash into river

East Vancouver fire deemed suspicious

East Vancouver fire deemed suspicious
Dozens of firefighters battled the two-alarm fire this morning at a house that was under construction. Fire officials say flames about 20-feet high were coming from the roof. 

East Vancouver fire deemed suspicious

Senior assaulted in Richmond

Senior assaulted in Richmond
Richmond R-C-M-P are investigating after a 67-year-old woman was assaulted by two suspects. Police say her home was also ransacked in last month's attack.

Senior assaulted in Richmond

Abbotsford police release video of vandalism involving axes, swords, and baseball bats

Abbotsford police release video of vandalism involving axes, swords, and baseball bats
Abbotsford police have released video showing more than 10 people using axes, swords and baseball bats to destroy multiple cars at a home in the city. Video released by the department depicts the incident, which happened around 1 A-M on Saturday.

Abbotsford police release video of vandalism involving axes, swords, and baseball bats