Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges laid in New Westminster kidnapping case

Charges laid in New Westminster kidnapping case
A 40-year-old man from Kamloops has been charged with kidnapping, forcible confinement, assault with a weapon and use of an imitation firearm, while a 42-year-old man from Vernon faces the same charges, except assault.  

Charges laid in New Westminster kidnapping case

Bear Creek park morning shooting lands one in hospital

Bear Creek park morning shooting lands one in hospital
On Friday, at 8:06 a.m., police responded to the report of a shooting in a residential driveway located in the 8100-block of 144A Street. Police found an adult male suffering from apparent gun shot wounds and provided medical assistance until Emergency Health Services arrived on scene.

Bear Creek park morning shooting lands one in hospital

B.C. communities brace for weekend rain as floods forecast in southern Interior

B.C. communities brace for weekend rain as floods forecast in southern Interior
Grand Forks, not far from the Canada-U.S. border, is one of many communities under threat in B.C.'s southern and central Interior. A week of record temperatures followed by rain have combined to create conditions ripe for flooding.

B.C. communities brace for weekend rain as floods forecast in southern Interior

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon
Mounties in Nanaimo are asking for the public's help in identifying two people accused of breaking into a local hair salon. They say police responded to a glass break alarm at Cosmo Prof on April 25th and found its door had been "smashed out."

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon

Leader of BC United Kevin Falcon appalled over drug trafficker arrest

Leader of BC United Kevin Falcon appalled over drug trafficker arrest
Falcon called on Premier David Eby and members of his cabinet to denounce the alleged activity as completely unacceptable. Vancouver police arrested a 51-year-old man for selling cocaine, methamphetamine and heroin out of a trailer parked in one of the neighbourhood's main intersections.

Leader of BC United Kevin Falcon appalled over drug trafficker arrest

Surrey RCMP need assault suspects of South Asian descent to be identified

Surrey RCMP need assault suspects of South Asian descent to be identified
Surrey RCMP is releasing two short videos from the scene that shows three suspects who are believed to be involved in the assault. The first video shows a suspect who is described as a South Asian man in his mid-20s to early-30s, with a long black beard, wearing all dark clothing, blue vest and a small blue turban.

Surrey RCMP need assault suspects of South Asian descent to be identified