Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Breach of trust case dropped against ex-Liberal MP

Breach of trust case dropped against ex-Liberal MP
Grewal left the federal Liberal caucus in 2018 after his gambling problem came to light and a public outcry ensued. He chose not to run for re-election in 2019. In 2020, the RCMP charged him with four counts of breach of trust and one count of fraud over $5,000.

Breach of trust case dropped against ex-Liberal MP

Turpel-Lafond 'satisfied' with identity, past work

Turpel-Lafond 'satisfied' with identity, past work
In her most expansive recent remarks since a CBC investigation last fall raised questions about her claim of Cree heritage, Turpel-Lafond said it's "liberating" to be freed of honours because it permits her to "focus on what really matters" in her life.

Turpel-Lafond 'satisfied' with identity, past work

Experts warn of 'recovery scam' after sextortion

Experts warn of 'recovery scam' after sextortion
Darren Laur, chief training officer at White Hatter, an internet safety and digital literacy education company based in Victoria said the teen's family reached out to him with their story after the other firm told them there was nothing that could be done.

Experts warn of 'recovery scam' after sextortion

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise
Several fire trucks snarled Georgia Street's eastbound lanes near the main library as firefighters worked to free the pair, who had been replacing glass on the Deloitte Summit tower when the platform refused to move Thursday morning.

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement
A Federal Court judge has approved a $2.8 billion settlement agreement between the Canadian government and plaintiffs representing 325 First Nations whose members went to residential day schools. Those members were ineligible for the 2006 settlement reached between Canada and full-time students at the schools.

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault
Police searched the area for someone matching the suspect description, and provided aid to the victim. Despite searches of the surrounding area, no one matching the suspect description could be found.

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault