Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals remain under pressure on interference

Liberals remain under pressure on interference
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday he will appoint a "special rapporteur" to probe foreign interference in Canada and recommend what more to do about it, among several measures aimed at responding to renewed scrutiny of the Liberal response so far.

Liberals remain under pressure on interference

Trudeau announces new supports for Ukraine

Trudeau announces new supports for Ukraine
Canada will extend the Operation Unifier mission to provide engineering training in Ukraine until at least October, and Canadian medical trainers will be sent to help Ukrainian forces with combat medical skills.

Trudeau announces new supports for Ukraine

Eby: Feds need to reform bail system now

Eby: Feds need to reform bail system now
Eby, speaking at a news conference, says B.C. residents are "very frustrated — and rightly so — with the small group of repeat, violent offenders" who are "cycling in and out" of the justice system.  

Eby: Feds need to reform bail system now

B.C. invests $200 million in food security

B.C. invests $200 million in food security
Eby says the "historic" investment in B.C.'s food security comes as a direct response to events that occurred in the past few years, when flooding, wildfires and COVID supply-chain bottlenecks "essentially cut off" crucial supply lines in the province.

B.C. invests $200 million in food security

'Impossible to deny' hate increase in B.C.: report

'Impossible to deny' hate increase in B.C.: report
Kasari Govender released a nearly 500-page report Tuesday detailing the results of her office's public inquiry into hate incidents during the pandemic. The report says hate incidents have increased dramatically during the pandemic, disproportionately impacting marginalized communities, along with increases in gender-based violence, and online hate.

'Impossible to deny' hate increase in B.C.: report

B.C. overdose figure tops 200 again: coroner

B.C. overdose figure tops 200 again: coroner
A statement from the coroner's office says the death rate in January was 47 people per 100,000, more than double the 20.5 death rate that prompted B.C.'s medical health officer to declare the emergency almost seven years ago.

B.C. overdose figure tops 200 again: coroner