Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada more trusting of China in 2016: Rosenberg

Canada more trusting of China in 2016: Rosenberg
Citing an unnamed national security source, the newspaper reported Zhang was instructed by Beijing to donate $1 million in honour of the elder Trudeau in 2014, two years before the $200,000 donation to the Trudeau Foundation was made.

Canada more trusting of China in 2016: Rosenberg

Vancouver home sales up 77% from Jan.: board

Vancouver home sales up 77% from Jan.: board
The board says sales for the month totalled 1,808, roughly 33 per cent below the 10-year February sales average. There were 3,467 new listings last month, a 36.6 per cent decrease, when compared with February 2022, and a 5.2 per cent increase, when compared with January.    

Vancouver home sales up 77% from Jan.: board

Three skiers dead in B.C. avalanche

Three skiers dead in B.C. avalanche
 RCMP say the three were among 10 heli-skiers caught by the slide near the Panorama Mountain Resort, about 150 kilometres southwest of Banff, Alta. Cpl. James Grady says everyone in the group has been accounted for, and four are injured but are expected to recover.

Three skiers dead in B.C. avalanche

Trudeau Foundation returning 2016 donation

Trudeau Foundation returning 2016 donation
Pascale Fournier, the president and CEO of the Trudeau Foundation, which the prime minister has not been involved with since becoming leader, says the amount has been refunded.

Trudeau Foundation returning 2016 donation

No charges in B.C. money laundering investigation

No charges in B.C. money laundering investigation
Considine, a senior Victoria lawyer, was appointed last March to conduct an independent charge assessment of the multi-year E-Nationalize investigation, which concluded in 2021 and proposed eight charges against Paul King Jin of Richmond, B.C.    

No charges in B.C. money laundering investigation

Collision on Highway 5 leaves 3 dead and 2 others in critical condition

Collision on Highway 5 leaves 3 dead and 2 others in critical condition
On Tuesday at around 11am officials were notified of a multiple vehicle collision involving 3 vehicles in the 3300 block of Hwy #5 near Clearwater BC. The highway will be closed for a at least few hours while the investigation proceeds.

Collision on Highway 5 leaves 3 dead and 2 others in critical condition