Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Explosive device deactivated in Kelowna, B.C.

Explosive device deactivated in Kelowna, B.C.
A stretch of Highway 97N, also known as Harvey Avenue, was closed in both directions for more than seven hours on Monday as police waited for the disposal unit to arrive from the Lower Mainland. She says the device was not detonated, but was rendered safe by experts who know how to handle such explosives.  

Explosive device deactivated in Kelowna, B.C.

Dental association releases paper on dental care

Dental association releases paper on dental care
The Liberals said the benefit is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians. The current benefit is available to families whose household income is less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

Dental association releases paper on dental care

MPs summon Google CEO to testify on blocking news

MPs summon Google CEO to testify on blocking news
The summons applies to CEO Sundar Pichai, as well as Kent Walker, president of global affairs, Richard Gingras, vice-president of news, and Sabrina Geremia, vice president and country manager for Google in Canada.    

MPs summon Google CEO to testify on blocking news

B.C. finance minister to table her first budget

B.C. finance minister to table her first budget
Conroy says the prospect of a multibillion-dollar surplus similar to last year's budget is not in the forecast. She says that almost $6-billion surplus was an anomaly that allowed the NDP government to announce numerous spending initiatives on health, affordability, infrastructure and housing.

B.C. finance minister to table her first budget

Snow delays, cancellations, on B.C. south coast

Snow delays, cancellations, on B.C. south coast
The North and West Vancouver school districts called a snow day for all public schools while Simon Fraser University cancelled morning classes at all its campuses and a statement from Vancouver International Airport says visibility and de-icing of aircraft have been affected by the unexpectedly heavy snowfall.

Snow delays, cancellations, on B.C. south coast

Vancouver police apologize after mistaken arrest

Vancouver police apologize after mistaken arrest
The suspect who police thought they were arresting was considered armed and dangerous, and potentially in possession of a firearm, so the department's emergency response team was deployed. Police say during the arrest officers shot the man with two rubber bullets.

Vancouver police apologize after mistaken arrest