Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Aid agencies ask for increased funding in 2023

Aid agencies ask for increased funding in 2023
The request comes in a letter signed by 75 non-governmental organizations, including the Canadian chapters of groups such as Oxfam, Save the Children, Unicef and World Vision. They're asking Freeland to increase international aid funding from the $8.15 billion pledged in the last budget and to gradually ramp that figure up to $10 billion by 2025. 

Aid agencies ask for increased funding in 2023

Crash near Castlegar, B.C., claims two lives

Crash near Castlegar, B.C., claims two lives
The two Nelson residents, aged 68 and 79, were in the back seat of the Toyota and died at the scene. Police say the driver and front-seat passenger were taken to hospital while the driver of the pickup truck was not badly hurt.

Crash near Castlegar, B.C., claims two lives

Border agents finds cache of weapons in B.C.

Border agents finds cache of weapons in B.C.
The agency says more prohibited weapons were also found at a Chilliwack home the day after the arrest. It says the list of weapons included 13 conducted energy weapons, better known as Tasers, 360 stun guns, 171 stun batons and hundreds of prohibited knives and brass knuckles.    

Border agents finds cache of weapons in B.C.

Minister suggests budget deficits on way for B.C.

Minister suggests budget deficits on way for B.C.
Premier David Eby's government has been spending what was projected as an almost $6-billion surplus from last year’s budget on pressing issues like disaster mitigation, addiction treatment and cost-of-living supports.

Minister suggests budget deficits on way for B.C.

Raccoon causes all-day recess for B.C. school

Raccoon causes all-day recess for B.C. school
Students who weren't able to take the day off were bused to a local middle school. Conservation officers tried to get the raccoon to leave but it climbed up into the space above the ceiling tiles.    

Raccoon causes all-day recess for B.C. school

VPD arrests suspect in Chinatown senior assault

VPD arrests suspect in Chinatown senior assault
Henry Paul Wiens, 52, was arrested early Saturday morning by VPD officers working in the downtown core. Wiens had been wanted since February 15 for the alleged assault of a 93-year-old man who was knocked to the ground on Main Street on October 11.

VPD arrests suspect in Chinatown senior assault