Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end
Police in Vancouver are investigating a fatal stabbing in a busy neighbourhood Saturday night. They say officers responded to reports that a man had been stabbed near the intersection of Davie and Bute streets in the city's west end just before 10 p.m.

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead
Police say multiple people called to report the shooting outside a south Vancouver banquet hall near Fraser Street and Southeast Marine Drive at 1:30 a.m. Sunday. They say officers performed CPR on the man until paramedics arrived, but he died from his injuries.

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam
A dozen new affordable and accessible rental homes have opened in Coquitlam. The Housing Ministry says the 12 units are part of a new 25-storey, 189-unit apartment tower.  

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam

B.C. extends reach of property tax aimed at turning empty houses into rental homes

B.C. extends reach of property tax aimed at turning empty houses into rental homes
A statement from the Ministry of Finance says the Speculation and Vacancy Tax now includes the municipalities of North Cowichan, Duncan, Ladysmith, Lake Cowichan, Lions Bay and Squamish. Starting early next year, homeowners in those areas will join owners in 40 other B.C. cities, districts and towns who are required to declare how their property was used in 2023.  

B.C. extends reach of property tax aimed at turning empty houses into rental homes

Florida man pleads not guilty after Canada-U.S. human smuggling tragedy in Manitoba

Florida man pleads not guilty after Canada-U.S. human smuggling tragedy in Manitoba
Shand, from Deltona, Fla., was arrested in January 2022 in a remote area of northern Minnesota, where U.S. Border Patrol officers encountered him with two Indian nationals in a rented passenger van.   

Florida man pleads not guilty after Canada-U.S. human smuggling tragedy in Manitoba

One dead after collision on Highway 17, Highway 17 & Old Yale Road shut down

One dead after collision on Highway 17, Highway 17 & Old Yale Road shut down
Despite the efforts of first responders, one person has succumbed to their injuries and two people have been transported to hospital. Highway 17 and Old Yale Road will be closed in all directions until further notice.  

One dead after collision on Highway 17, Highway 17 & Old Yale Road shut down