Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Runaway Bus gets away and ends up on lawn of a house

Runaway Bus gets away and ends up on lawn of a house
Police in West Vancouver say a bus got away from a driver trying to fix a door problem in Horseshoe Bay today. Police say as the bus began to roll the driver fell out. The bus ended up on the front lawn of a house.

Runaway Bus gets away and ends up on lawn of a house

168 Street and Fraser Highway closed due to fatal crash: Surrey RCMP

168 Street and Fraser Highway closed due to fatal crash: Surrey RCMP
The intersection of 168 Street and Fraser Highway is closed in all directions and traffic is being rerouted. Fraser Highway is closed westbound at 176Street and 168 Street is closed northbound just south of Fraser Highway. 

168 Street and Fraser Highway closed due to fatal crash: Surrey RCMP

Auditor General largely praises B.C. COVID-19 tourism supports, cites 'minor' shortfalls

Auditor General largely praises B.C. COVID-19 tourism supports, cites 'minor' shortfalls
Michael Pickup says there were "minor inconsistencies" with the otherwise well designed and implemented destination development grant program that handed out more than $41 million in 2021 and 2022. Pickup says 12 of the 106 projects that received money were missing notes from reviewers detailing the rationale for their decision and while due diligence was done, it wasn't well defined.

Auditor General largely praises B.C. COVID-19 tourism supports, cites 'minor' shortfalls

B.C. government to provide additional $25 million for marine restoration projects

B.C. government to provide additional $25 million for marine restoration projects
Environment Minister George Heyman told a news conference Tuesday that debris from more than 4,600 kilometres of shoreline has been removed so far, while creating more than 1,700 jobs. He says the new funding will allow the initiatives to continue to protect the coast and the communities that live there.

B.C. government to provide additional $25 million for marine restoration projects

B.C. housing non-profit at heart of controversy names interim CEO

B.C. housing non-profit at heart of controversy names interim CEO
Atira says its new CEO Catherine Roome is an experienced leader in both the public and private sectors and will head the organization until a permanent replacement for Abbott is found. Atira board chair Elva Kim says recruiting Roome is part of its effort to "restore public confidence" in the housing provider after Abbott's departure earlier this month.   

B.C. housing non-profit at heart of controversy names interim CEO

'Serve all Albertans': Smith says UCP majority government to focus on economy

'Serve all Albertans': Smith says UCP majority government to focus on economy
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says it’s time to put personal and political attacks in the “rear-view mirror” and focus on the province’s economy. Smith’s United Conservative Party won a majority government in Monday’s provincial election. 

'Serve all Albertans': Smith says UCP majority government to focus on economy