Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Health Ministry invests in roads

BC Health Ministry invests in roads
Health Minister Adrian Dix says the road safety grant program is especially important in rural and Indigenous communities, and preventing road-related injuries will lessen pressure on the province's health-care system.   

BC Health Ministry invests in roads

Port Moody arson damages turf field

Port Moody arson damages turf field
Port Moody police say firefighters were called to the Trasolini Field just before midnight on May 26th after a group of young people was seen using an accelerant to light the field on fire before fleeing the scene.

Port Moody arson damages turf field

Vancouver fire lands man in hospital

Vancouver fire lands man in hospital
Vancouver firefighters say a man suffered life-threatening injuries in a fire that broke out early Monday morning on West Sixth Avenue. The fire service says a 34-year-old man was taken to V-G-H with serious and life-threatening injuries.

Vancouver fire lands man in hospital

City of Vancouver speeds up housing construction

City of Vancouver speeds up housing construction
The City of Vancouver says it's made significant changes to speed up new housing construction by moving to clear a backlog of applications. Mayor Ken Sim says the changes voted on yesterday by council will streamline the application process and speed up new housing construction city-wide. 

City of Vancouver speeds up housing construction

Surrey RCMP on the lookout for 2 men facing firearms offences charges

Surrey RCMP on the lookout for 2 men facing firearms offences charges
Surrey R-C-M-P say they want the public's help locating 25-year-old Terry MacDonald and 26-year-old Joseph Gregory, who are both wanted for allegedly breaching their bail conditions. Investigators say McDonald is five-foot-six, weighing 150 pounds, while Gregory is six-foot-two and 220 pounds, and both men are considered armed and dangerous.

Surrey RCMP on the lookout for 2 men facing firearms offences charges

Vancouver council announces Komagata Maru street name to address historic wrongs

Vancouver council announces Komagata Maru street name to address historic wrongs
Canada Place will get the second name to acknowledge historical discrimination against South Asian communities. The Komagata Maru docked near the current location of Canada Place in 1914 with 340 Sikh, 27 Muslim and 12 Hindu passengers on board, most of whom were denied entry into Canada despite having valid travel documents. 

Vancouver council announces Komagata Maru street name to address historic wrongs