Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Langley Officer, Navarash Dhillon, faces charge from incidents dating back five years

Langley Officer, Navarash Dhillon, faces charge from incidents dating back five years
The B.C. Prosecution Service says the single charge was approved against Const. Navarash Dhillon. It says in a statement that the charge relates to alleged incidents that occurred in Langley between September and December 2018.   

Langley Officer, Navarash Dhillon, faces charge from incidents dating back five years

Translink sees jump in ridership

Translink sees jump in ridership
A report compiled for TransLink -- Metro Vancouver's transportation network -- shows ridership has jumped 20 per cent or more in all areas over the past year. The report says overcrowding is approaching pre-pandemic levels -- especially in regions including Richmond, Surrey, Delta, White Rock and Langley.

Translink sees jump in ridership

Multi-vehicle collision on Hwy 3 claims one life

Multi-vehicle collision on Hwy 3 claims one life
At least one person has been killed in a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 3 east of Cranbrook. The collision happened at around 7 a.m. and it has completely closed that stretch of Highway 3 while an investigation is underway.

Multi-vehicle collision on Hwy 3 claims one life

ICBC has new offer for drivers

ICBC has new offer for drivers
The Insurance Corporation of B-C says more than half of motorists in this province support discounts for those who don't drive much, so it has created a package offering new savings to those with mileage under 10-thousand kilometres per year.  

ICBC has new offer for drivers

B.C. to invest $17 million on science, Indigenous knowledge to restore Pacific salmon

B.C. to invest $17 million on science, Indigenous knowledge to restore Pacific salmon
The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says the bulk of the money will be shared equally between the First Nations Fisheries Council and the Pacific Salmon Foundation as the organizations work to conserve and restore the fish.

B.C. to invest $17 million on science, Indigenous knowledge to restore Pacific salmon

Canada launches category-based selection for Express Entry candidates

Canada launches category-based selection for Express Entry candidates
This year, category-based selection invitations will focus on candidates who have a strong French language proficiency, or work experience in fields like healthcare, agriculture and agri-food, STEM professions and trades, such as carpenters, plumbers and contractors transport.

Canada launches category-based selection for Express Entry candidates