Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Stanley Park bike lanes removed

Stanley Park bike lanes removed
After heated debates and decision reversals, most of Stanley Park’s temporary bike lanes set up during the pandemic have now been removed. It means cars now have two lanes along the main Park Drive and those cycling through will either have to share the road or go to the seawall for a slower pace.

Stanley Park bike lanes removed

Woman pulled from Fraser River: New Westminster Police

Woman pulled from Fraser River: New Westminster Police
Police in New Westminster say a woman is recovering in hospital after being pulled from the Fraser River. They say officers received a report around noon on Tuesday that woman who appeared to be in distress could be seen from the pier in the fast-moving water.

Woman pulled from Fraser River: New Westminster Police

Suspicious occurrence in Crescent Park

Suspicious occurrence in Crescent Park
The complainant saw a man running in her direction carrying a rope, was startled, ran away and contacted police. Police attended the park, spoke with the complainant and conducted patrols through the park.    

Suspicious occurrence in Crescent Park

Vancouver homicide victim identified

Vancouver homicide victim identified
They say 43-year-old Jonathan Bullock was stabbed Friday night in the downtown core and died later in hospital. No arrests have been made yet.

Vancouver homicide victim identified

Man charged with sexual assault: New Westminster Police

Man charged with sexual assault: New Westminster Police
Police in New Westminster have charged a Vancouver man with sexual assault and believe there may be other victims. They say 11 victims have come forward after sharing their experiences and connecting with others on social media.

Man charged with sexual assault: New Westminster Police

Emergency preparedness minister warns wildfire situation is unprecedented, dangerous

Emergency preparedness minister warns wildfire situation is unprecedented, dangerous
As the situation in Alberta grew quickly out of control in early May, the Canadian military moved in to help, and the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre also helped commission firefighters from other provinces and other countries. Canada has agreements to share firefighters with six other countries — the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Mexico and Costa Rica.

Emergency preparedness minister warns wildfire situation is unprecedented, dangerous