Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds open to cutting plastic production but global agreement will be hard: Guilbeault

Feds open to cutting plastic production but global agreement will be hard: Guilbeault
At the United Nations Environment Assembly in March 2022, 175 nations agreed to launch talks to create a global plastics treaty to eliminate plastic waste by the end of 2024. There are three more rounds of talks guaranteed before then, and Guilbeault said Canada is going to host the next round about a year from now.

Feds open to cutting plastic production but global agreement will be hard: Guilbeault

Gurpartap Singh Walia and his son charged with sexual exploitation, assault of teenage girls in Calgary

Gurpartap Singh Walia and his son charged with sexual exploitation, assault of teenage girls in Calgary
Sumrit Walia, 24, faces about 20 charges — including sexual interference with a minor, sexual exploitation as well as possessing, accessing and creating child pornography. His 56-year-old father, Gurpartap Singh Walia, is also charged with sexual assault, sexual interference with a minor and selling contraband tobacco.

Gurpartap Singh Walia and his son charged with sexual exploitation, assault of teenage girls in Calgary

Plane crash in Surrey on 152nd St, pilot hurt and road closures in effect

Plane crash in Surrey on 152nd St, pilot hurt and road closures in effect
152 Street between 72 Avenue and 68 Avenue has been closed in both directions to all traffic. Police are requesting people plan ahead, avoid the area and use alternate routes. It is unknown how long the closures will remain in effect.

Plane crash in Surrey on 152nd St, pilot hurt and road closures in effect

Gun and a jerry can full of gasoline located inside vehicle

Gun and a jerry can full of gasoline located inside vehicle
A 39-year-old man, believed to be the driver, who is known to police was transported to Surrey RCMP cells and held in custody. Investigators confirmed that the vehicle was stolen from Coquitlam in November 2022.  

Gun and a jerry can full of gasoline located inside vehicle

Two teens charged in Prince George drug bust

Two teens charged in Prince George drug bust
Mounties say officers seized a firearm as well as 1.5 kilograms of suspected methamphetamine, fentanyl and cocaine from a home while executing a search warrant last Friday.

Two teens charged in Prince George drug bust

Surrey Drive Thru Arrest

Surrey Drive Thru Arrest
The man allegedly berated drive-thru staff in early February. Mounties say the man was arrested on May 24th and was charged with assault and causing a disturbance.

Surrey Drive Thru Arrest