Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Dead body found in Kelowna

Dead body found in Kelowna
Mounties say a man has been found dead in Kelowna. They say officers responded to a report of the body in the area of McCulloch Road at Myra Forest Service Road around 8 a-m Sunday.

Dead body found in Kelowna

Fatal fire in North Vancouver

Fatal fire in North Vancouver
Mounties and firefighters in North Vancouver say one person died in a house fire in the city. The North Vancouver R-C-M-P and the city's fire department say they are investigating Friday's blaze in the 400-block of Queensbury Avenue.  

Fatal fire in North Vancouver

B.C. officials push back on safe supply critics, seeing 'no sign' drugs are diverted

B.C. officials push back on safe supply critics, seeing 'no sign' drugs are diverted
B.C.'s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe — who joined Charlesworth and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry at a news briefing — says toxicology tests show hydromorphone hasn't been present in any significant number of deaths.

B.C. officials push back on safe supply critics, seeing 'no sign' drugs are diverted

Uber operational in Victoria & Kelowna tomorrow

Uber operational in Victoria & Kelowna tomorrow
Residents in Victoria and Kelowna will be able to catch a ride with Uber starting tomorrow. The ride-hailing giant says service will go live at noon for the two major B-C cities after years of trying to get into the market.  

Uber operational in Victoria & Kelowna tomorrow

Targeting retail theft leads to 26 arrests, thousands in stolen merchandise

Targeting retail theft leads to 26 arrests, thousands in stolen merchandise
In one day, police made 26 arrests, including executing five arrest warrants, and recommended 15 criminal charges. Over $5,000 in stolen merchandise was recovered including, food, clothing, electronics, and cosmetics. 

Targeting retail theft leads to 26 arrests, thousands in stolen merchandise

India among top actors for foreign interference in Canada: national security adviser

India among top actors for foreign interference in Canada: national security adviser
Federal agencies have in recent years warned that India may try to influence communities in Canada, and Thomas's predecessor suggested rogue elements in the Indian government sought to embarrass Trudeau during his visit that year.

India among top actors for foreign interference in Canada: national security adviser