Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey wanted man arrested

Surrey wanted man arrested
A 22-year-old man who was wanted by R-C-M-P in Surrey has been arrested. Mounties say Kwabena Bosiako was taken into custody this morning in New Westminster.

Surrey wanted man arrested

Senior punched in the face in an unprovoked assault: Coquitlam RCMP

Senior punched in the face in an unprovoked assault: Coquitlam RCMP
Police are asking for the public's help in finding a suspect who seriously injured an 85-year-old man in an unprovoked assault in Coquitlam. The Mounties say the suspect dropped the leashes and the dogs ran toward the victim before the suspect approached the man and punched him in the face.  

Senior punched in the face in an unprovoked assault: Coquitlam RCMP

Wildfire roundup: What you need to know about blazes burning across Canada

Wildfire roundup: What you need to know about blazes burning across Canada
The B.C. Wildfire Service says heavy equipment, helicopters and crews are attacking what is believed to be a human-caused fire. The wildfire service is reporting more than 80 active fires in British Columbia.

Wildfire roundup: What you need to know about blazes burning across Canada

Logging truck failure set off crash that killed 3 in Cranbrook, B.C.: RCMP

Logging truck failure set off crash that killed 3 in Cranbrook, B.C.: RCMP
The crash on Highway 3 last Wednesday involved three vehicles, but police say those who died were all in a Chevrolet Suburban.  RCMP say the collision analysis and reconstruction service is still investigating the crash. 

Logging truck failure set off crash that killed 3 in Cranbrook, B.C.: RCMP

BC Ferries wants public opinion on former buffet space

BC Ferries wants public opinion on former buffet space
B-C Ferries is asking for the public's help in deciding what to do with its former buffet spaces on its Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay route. It says an online survey will be open for three weeks and, using that feedback, it hopes to transform the space this fall.  

BC Ferries wants public opinion on former buffet space

Assault at a school in Maple Ridge

Assault at a school in Maple Ridge
Mounties in Ridge Meadows say they are investigating an assault at a local school. They say officers responded to the incident at a school at 116-B Avenue around 9:40 P-M on Saturday – outside of regular school hours.

Assault at a school in Maple Ridge