Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Eyes on the weather as fierce wildfire rages, forces evacuations in northeastern B.C.

Eyes on the weather as fierce wildfire rages, forces evacuations in northeastern B.C.
The extreme fire activity prompted the District of Tumbler Ridge to skip an evacuation alert Thursday and jump right to an order requiring all 2,400 residents to get out immediately and seek refuge in Dawson Creek or Fort St. John.  

Eyes on the weather as fierce wildfire rages, forces evacuations in northeastern B.C.

'These are the rules': Canada to deport Sikh family to India

'These are the rules': Canada to deport Sikh family to India
Hardeep Singh Chahal, his pregnant wife Kamaldeep Kaur and their three-year-old daughter, who live in Penticton, were given deportation orders last month for reasons withheld for privacy reasons, the Houston Today newspaper reported.

'These are the rules': Canada to deport Sikh family to India

Canada invites 4,800 candidates for Express Entry draw in June

Canada invites 4,800 candidates for Express Entry draw in June
The 14th draw of the country's flagship economic immigration management system on Thursday follows the most recent draw on May 24 in which 4,800 candidates with a minimum CRS score of 488 were invited.

Canada invites 4,800 candidates for Express Entry draw in June

Jobless at 5.2 per cent: Statistics Canada

Jobless at 5.2 per cent: Statistics Canada
The jobless rate rose to 5.2 per cent in May, ending a streak of eight months of job gains. T-D director of economics James Orlando says the question now is whether this is a one-off, or the start of a trend.  

Jobless at 5.2 per cent: Statistics Canada

Bus carrying students catches fire in Chilliwack

Bus carrying students catches fire in Chilliwack
The City of Chilliwack says no injuries were reported and crews contained the blaze about 95 kilometres east of Vancouver. B-C Hydro says power went out for nearly 25-hundred customers as a result of the fire.  

Bus carrying students catches fire in Chilliwack

Surrey Arson suspect charged

Surrey Arson suspect charged
Two fires occurred in the northwest part of the city on May 28th, less than 12 hours apart. There were two businesses on the lower level as well as a residential units on the upper level of the building that sustained significant fire and water damage.

Surrey Arson suspect charged