Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

A third of Canadians support changing anthem to say 'our home on native land': poll

A third of Canadians support changing anthem to say 'our home on native land': poll
The proposed resolution put forward by Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie would – if passed by council – ask Ottawa to alter the line that reads "O Canada! Our home and native land” to “O Canada! Our home on native land."

A third of Canadians support changing anthem to say 'our home on native land': poll

PR for Ukrainians coming soon

PR for Ukrainians coming soon
Canada's immigration minister says he'll soon announce a long-awaited program to grant permanent residency to Ukrainians with familial ties to Canada. But Sean Fraser says a similar program for other Ukrainians is still a ways away.

PR for Ukrainians coming soon

Vancouver family who lost son to fentanyl donates $20 million to recovery centre

Vancouver family who lost son to fentanyl donates $20 million to recovery centre
Jill Diamond, executive director of Vancouver's Diamond Foundation and sister to Steven Diamond, said in a statement that her brother might still be alive today if he had received the care being offered at Vancouver's St. Paul's Hospital.

Vancouver family who lost son to fentanyl donates $20 million to recovery centre

Winds fan northeast B.C. wildfire, but aid crews working to save Tumbler Ridge

Winds fan northeast B.C. wildfire, but aid crews working to save Tumbler Ridge
Gusty winds have kicked up the activity of a huge wildfire in northeastern British Columbia, forcing evacuation orders for another 14 remote properties outside Fort Nelson. The Peace River Regional District issued two evacuation orders Sunday as winds fanned the 4,049-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze.  

Winds fan northeast B.C. wildfire, but aid crews working to save Tumbler Ridge

Shooting in Downtown: VPD

Shooting in Downtown: VPD
Sergeant Steve Addison says one person was arrested at the scene, but investigators have yet to determine if there are more suspects. He says the shooting occurred Saturday evening inside a building near East Hastings Street and Princess Avenue.

Shooting in Downtown: VPD

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay
The search for a man who went missing during a hike near Lions Bay off the Sea to Sky highway has been called off. Lions Bay emergency program coordinator Phil Folkersen says a body has been found and it is believed to be that of Michael Tu.

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay