Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

3 arrested for catalytic converter theft: Delta Police

3 arrested for catalytic converter theft: Delta Police
Delta Police say they have arrested three suspects who stole multiple catalytic converters from vehicles in the city. Police say officers made the arrest on June 8 after observing the suspects stealing a catalytic converter.

3 arrested for catalytic converter theft: Delta Police

Two youth arrested in Skytrain stabbing

Two youth arrested in Skytrain stabbing
New Westminster Police and Metro Vancouver Transit Police say two youth, ages 16 and 17, have been charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and robbery.

Two youth arrested in Skytrain stabbing

Burnaby collision at construction site leaves 1 hurt

Burnaby collision at construction site leaves 1 hurt
Witnesses indicated a white Toyota Tacoma had crashed into a concrete block, which caused the block to strike another vehicle legally parked at the location. The pick-up truck then reversed and collided with a wooden pallet holding construction materials.

Burnaby collision at construction site leaves 1 hurt

BC lawyer suspended

BC lawyer suspended
A former lawyer in B-C has been suspended for six months and ordered to pay more than 4-thousand dollars for sexually harassing a client. The Law Society of B-C says William James Heflin made "unwelcome comments, advances and physical contact" with a client during an October 2020 meeting at the Victoria courthouse.

BC lawyer suspended

Women gardening bitten by coyote

Women gardening bitten by coyote
A woman is nursing minor injuries after being bitten by a coyote while she was doing some gardening in Prince George, B.C. A statement from the B.C. Conservation Officers Service says the coyote walked up to the woman from behind and bit her.

Women gardening bitten by coyote

Will provide appropriate remedy for Indian students facing deportation: Canadian Minister

Will provide appropriate remedy for Indian students facing deportation: Canadian Minister
Students filed visa applications 2018 onwards till 2022 through Jalandhar-based Education Migration Services headed by one Brijesh Mishra, who is on the run and has shut all his operations operating from Jalandhar. He is s also accused of cheating students of tens of thousands of dollars.

Will provide appropriate remedy for Indian students facing deportation: Canadian Minister