Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Deportations for international students caught in fraud scheme put on hold

Deportations for international students caught in fraud scheme put on hold
Hundreds of students might have been affected by the scheme, which saw immigration agents issue fake acceptance letters to get international students into Canada. Some students had no idea their documents were forged until it came time for them apply for permanent residency.  

Deportations for international students caught in fraud scheme put on hold

Chilliwack hosts vegan festival

Chilliwack hosts vegan festival
Normally known for its dairy and animal agriculture products, Chilliwack is hosting its first ever vegan food festival. The festival is hosted by local grocery store The Veganist for its one-year anniversary since opening, and co-founder Logan Bryan says vegan products have been welcomed by the majority of the community.

Chilliwack hosts vegan festival

Canada will continue to rely on foreign firefighters as wildfires increase: Trudeau

Canada will continue to rely on foreign firefighters as wildfires increase: Trudeau
Trudeau said extreme weather events are expected to become more frequent in the coming years due to climate change. When asked if Canada needs to augment its fleet water bombers that are used to fight fires, he said it's clear the country will need to increase resources at many levels.

Canada will continue to rely on foreign firefighters as wildfires increase: Trudeau

B.C. school district bans man who queried gender of girl, 9, at track meet

B.C. school district bans man who queried gender of girl, 9, at track meet
Kevin Kaardal, the superintendent of Central Okanagan Public Schools in Kelowna, B.C., says in a statement that staff at the regional track and field meet last week intervened and eventually moved the girl's event across the field.

B.C. school district bans man who queried gender of girl, 9, at track meet

Speeding car flees a traffic stop

Speeding car flees a traffic stop
West Shore R-C-M-P say on June 10, officers in Metchosin near Victoria stopped two cars, including one travelling at almost double the speed limit. The over-speeding car initially pulled over but then fled from the scene, striking an officer in the leg and resulting in minor injuries from which the officer is expected to recover.

Speeding car flees a traffic stop

Ban on open fires

Ban on open fires
The Surrey Fire Service says incidents of reported brush and grass fires have trended higher in recent years, with last year seeing more than 525 incidents between May and November.

Ban on open fires