Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Chilliwack gets Indigenous Justice Centre to help break incarceration cycle, says Eby

Chilliwack gets Indigenous Justice Centre to help break incarceration cycle, says Eby
A statement from Eby's office says Indigenous people comprise about five per cent of B.C.'s population, but account for about 30 per cent of people in provincial jails, and justice centres are a key part of addressing that "over-incarceration."

Chilliwack gets Indigenous Justice Centre to help break incarceration cycle, says Eby

Motorcyclist dead in Nanaimo

Motorcyclist dead in Nanaimo
Officers say the motorcycle was going northbound on Island Highway when a southbound truck tried to make a left turn and hit the motorcycle. The driver of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Motorcyclist dead in Nanaimo

Delta shooting leaves one injured

Delta shooting leaves one injured
Officers responding to reports of a disturbance at a home yesterday evening discovered that an unknown suspect had fired a gun. Shortly after, a person arrived at a local hospital with a minor gunshot wound.

Delta shooting leaves one injured

Vancouver Chinatown condo project hearing resumes with nearly 100 wanting to speak

Vancouver Chinatown condo project hearing resumes with nearly 100 wanting to speak
People on both sides of the debate about the proposed nine-storey building at 105 Keefer Street are speaking at a meeting of the city's development permit board, scheduled to run from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Vancouver Chinatown condo project hearing resumes with nearly 100 wanting to speak

Woman attacked by cougar

Woman attacked by cougar
A woman is recovering after being attacked by a cougar while mountain biking on a popular trail in Roberts Creek, B.C., over the weekend. The B.C. Conservation Officer Service says the big cat chased the woman then "lunged and swatted" at her near the B&K logging road, a popular biking destination.

Woman attacked by cougar

B.C. port cargo loaders approve strike, but talks continue with maritime employers

B.C. port cargo loaders approve strike, but talks continue with maritime employers
The strike vote gives cargo movers additional leverage in talks with employers, allowing the union to file 72-hour notice for a strike to begin on June 24 if negotiations do not progress. Negotiations in B.C. are scheduled to continue this week, after the previous agreement between the two sides expired on March 30.

B.C. port cargo loaders approve strike, but talks continue with maritime employers