Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP attempts to prod Liberals into action on pharmacare by tabling its own bill

NDP attempts to prod Liberals into action on pharmacare by tabling its own bill
The NDP and Liberals struck a confidence-and-supply agreement last year that would see the NDP support the government on key votes to hold an election off until 2025 in exchange for progress on NDP priorities.

NDP attempts to prod Liberals into action on pharmacare by tabling its own bill

Man arrested after weapons call

Man arrested after weapons call
Victoria Police have arrested a man they allege threatened to shoot another person. Police say officers responded to a report of a man threatening to shoot someone in the 11-hundred block on Pandora Avenue on June 9th.

Man arrested after weapons call

Winds in store for Metro Vancouver

Winds in store for Metro Vancouver
Winds are expected to develop in the late afternoon and continue through the night before easing early tomorrow morning. The areas that could potentially be impacted by the high winds include Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Richmond, Delta, Burnaby and New Westminster. 

Winds in store for Metro Vancouver

Suspect arsonist on the loose

Suspect arsonist on the loose
Police in Surrey are looking for a suspected arsonist who set a fire at the front entrance of a building earlier this month. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a fire in front of a building in the 139-hundred block of 100 Avenue on June 5th.

Suspect arsonist on the loose

Shots fired in South Surrey

Shots fired in South Surrey
On Tuesday at approximately 3:08 a.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of shots heard in the 13000-block of Crescent Road. Crescent Road is closed in both directions between 130 Street and 132 Street while the scene is being processed.

Shots fired in South Surrey

School teacher charged with sexual assault

School teacher charged with sexual assault
It is alleged that during his tenure as a teacher at St. Thomas Aquinas Regional Secondary School, Vesco sexually assaulted a student while he was teaching at the school from 2017 to 2019.

School teacher charged with sexual assault