Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba
Assistant Commissioner Rob Hill, the commanding officer of Manitoba's RCMP, said Thursday the crash happened at the intersection of highways 1 and 5 near Carberry, about two hours south of Dauphin.

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing
On November 22nd of last year at approximately 12:08 p.m., the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing outside of Tamanawis Secondary School. Officers located an 18-year old, later identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey, suffering life-threatening injuries. On Wednesday, as a result of advancements in the ongoing investigation, IHIT arrested a 17 year old suspect in relation to the murder of Mr. Sethi.  

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines
A statement on the S-F-U website says pickets were at several locations and it advised students with classes or labs in any of the affected buildings to check with their instructors or teaching assistants about possible disruptions.

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines

Trans-Canada Highway closed, crews respond to crash in western Manitoba

Trans-Canada Highway closed, crews respond to crash in western Manitoba
RCMP have posted on social media that they are on the scene of a very serious collision near the intersection of Highway 1 and Highway 5. The STARS air ambulance service says it has been dispatched to the scene.

Trans-Canada Highway closed, crews respond to crash in western Manitoba

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation says housing starts in Vancouver tumbled 45 per cent in May. The drop covered all types of projects -- from apartments and condos to other kinds of multi-unit developments -- and the trend was reflected in Montreal, where starts were off 35 per cent, and in Toronto, where starts fell 28 per cent.

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy
Ottawa released a statement Wednesday confirming that it was going ahead with the expropriations without the consent of all affected land owners. Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek say in the release that the federal government will take physical possession of the parcels of land required for the project on Aug. 1.  

Ottawa confirms land expropriations for rail bypass after Lac-Mégantic tragedy