Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit
Kelowna R-C-M-P say the 17-year-old driver was caught on the morning of June 14 travelling at 115 kilometres in a grey Volkswagen Jetta. Police say they pulled the driver over and issued him a three-hundred-68-dollar fine, while also impounding his car.

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit

Woman assaulted in Richmond

Woman assaulted in Richmond
Richmond R-C-M-P say the incident happened on June 7th just before midnight, when the victim got off a bus and was about to cross King Road. Police say the male suspect then grabbed the woman from behind and brandished a knife, according to the victim.

Woman assaulted in Richmond

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede
Thanks to recent rain and favourable winds, Tumbler Ridge's roughly 2,000 residents were allowed to return home Thursday when the evacuation order was lifted. There was also good news in Alberta, where an evacuation order was being lifted in the town of Edson, allowing more than 8,000 people to return home.

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources
Premier David Eby told a news conference Thursday that the forecast that calls for the additional 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of renewable energy is three years earlier than previously estimated.

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Jennifer Whiteside says 18 of the beds have been added at the Phoenix Society in Surrey and six at the Covenant House in Vancouver. The beds in Surrey are for men in the province between 17 and 24-years old -- with an average stay of three to six months. 

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver

One person killed in Quesnel

One person killed in Quesnel
R-C-M-P in British Columbia are investigating after one person was killed in a crash involving a semi trailer and a pickup truck. The incident happened yesterday afternoon about 35 kilometres south of Quesnel.  

One person killed in Quesnel